Johnny Got His Gun

daedric_madness

I've often wondered that myself. I can't imagine why you've come here for the answer, but hey why not?? :D

A quick check of wikipedia says no, although it is apparently based on the author's early life experiences. The author of the book and screenwriter / director are one & the same. See what wiki says here: wikipedia

Welcome to SF! Feel free to ask a music related question as well. We're really good with those. ;)

Oops, I beg your pardon. I see that the film has a Metallica connection. Very good. :thumbsup:

Edited by Guest
I learned something

• 5 weeks later...

No, the story is not a biography. It is fiction set on a historical event (WWI). This is a very famous and powerful anti-war book, not for the faint of heart, but something I always recommend for young people to read. Originally, it was set to be published sometime back in 1939; it was banned during WWII (with the author's approval). The movie, I think, came out in 1971 and was directed by Dalton Trumbo (same guy who also directed Papillon, starring Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman). Mr. Trumbo was one of those blacklisted Hollywood folk during the McCarthy era who had it real rough to get back in the scene, but he was ghostwriting during this time from Mexico. Him and Sam Fuller are two of my favourites directors who spoke [loudly] against social injustices they saw in the United States :beatnik:

You can buy the Johnny Got His Gun R1 dvd from any retailer. The transfer looks fairly clean and it is better than watching a 30-year old videocassette. The only two faults with the dvd I've noticed is the nude scene that was cut out and the Metallica video freezes. Otherwise, it's really good.