+1 Just One Look - Doris Troy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New songs

+5 You Don't Own Me - Lesley Gore

+3 The End Of The World - Brenda Lee

I should have voted in the last place so I could have supported these two songs... :P though "The End Of The World" is by Skeeter Davies, not Brenda Lee... (maybe she covered it? )

I'll try to listen to that... I love Brenda Lee... :) and I'll support her next time... :thumbsup:

I just listened to her version, it´s very good, I even like it better than the original... :)

Edited by Guest

I love Brenda Lee, but unfortunately her version of 'End Of The World' isn't eligible because it wasn't a U.S. Charted Hit. So it would have to be Skeeter's.

Sorry pink. :)

I'm a big fan of Linda Ronstadt (another era to this, of course) and I like so many of her uncharted covers better than the originals too.

GOLDEN OLDIES TOP 40 #16 (week commencing May 31st 2009)

jukebox2.gif

This week we are introducing a special new feature at the suggestion of cyberjudge. To the far left of each song, we've shown its Highest Position reached in the Top 40 to date.

Please CLICK HERE to view the full Chart in PDF Format. (Click on to open, then enlarge on your browser).

Many thanks to those who helped create this Top 40.

Your feedback is most welcome. Tell us how you like the new feature !

:headphones:

Thanks Lars. :) Your efforts are very much appreciated. I'm listening to the Playlist now while I'm typing this. CeeJay The DeeJay will be along with his comments on this week's Chart later. In the meantime, let's look at....

U.S. #1 BEST SELLER HITS ON THIS DAY, 1950 TO 1963

1950 The Third Man Theme (Anton Karas)

1951 How High The Moon (Les Paul & Mary Ford)

1952 Kiss Of Fire (Georgia Gibbs)

1953 The Song From Moulin Rouge (Percy Faith, vocals Felicia Sanders)

1954 Wanted (Perry Como)

1955 Cherry Pink And Apple Blossom White (Perez Prado)

1956 Heartbreak Hotel (Elvis Presley)

1957 All Shook Up (Elvis Presley)

1958 All I Have To Do Is Dream (The Everly Brothers)

1959 Kansas City (Wilbert Harrison)

1960 Cathy's Clown (The Everly Brothers)

1961 Travelin' Man (Ricky Nelson)

1962 Stranger On The Shore (Acker Bilk)

1963 If You Wanna Be Happy (Jimmy Soul)

And guess which Group was #1 this week in 1964 ???

Hi Kenne. :)

I didn't know there was an earlier version of 'You've Really Got A Hold On Me' until I heard someone say Smokey did a solo in a clip in Lars' Playlist.

Not The Miracles in 1964 though. It went #1 R & B, but not Pop.

Cherry Pink (and Apple Blossom White) was played at my senior prom. In May of 2000! I was head of the prom committee and I wanted an oldies-themed prom, so the DJ was instructed to play music from no later than 1963. We even had the old-fashioned Coke bottles to drink instead of cans. :)

That sounds nice Pink. :) It's a beautiful song that's been in our Top 40 already, as have all the ones I haven't put YouTube links to. So you told the DJ 'no music after 1963'. You're a natural for this !

Well, I grew up on this music. Living in Chicago, there were two stations to listen to. WJJD for the "singers and standards/40s-50s pop" and WJMK for the oldies music. When I was a baby, my parents would put WJJD on the transistor radio and place it underneath my bassinette and I'd sleep through the night without a problem.

So that era of music is one of my favorites. Fortunately the guy we got to DJ our prom wasn't completely unaware of what I was talking about, so everything went smoothly. The final song he played was Moon River. That was our "last dance" song.

Welcome again to Golden Oldies Top 40. DJ Ceejay back from the Berkshires and ready to “rap†up another week’s worth of action. Kudos to Darryl for a bang-up job pinch-hitting with the wrap in my absence, and to Lars for the weekly playlists. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

2 songs fall out of the countdown this week, Love Is Strange by Mickey & Sylvia, which peaked at #19 in week #9, and Fever by Peggy Lee, which topped off at #13 that same week.

2 new songs enter the countdown this week, both the first appearances for their respective artists:

The first hit from the Dell Vikings leads off our countdown this week at #40, with Come Go with Me.

And the Kingsmen come in at #21 with Louie Louie; it’s the highest debut on the chart since the Clovers debuted at #19 four weeks ago with last week’s #1, Love Potion #9.

3 songs make gains of 7 spots this week:

He’s a Rebel by the Crystals jumps from #40 to #33 in its 2nd week,

Only the Lonely by Roy Orbison bounces back from #33 to #26 in its 12th week in the chart, and

Fats Domino moves up from #25 to #18 with I’m Ready.

But “the climb†of the week belongs to a song that has walked that line before. :)

During its 1st chart run, back in week #10, I Walk the Line by Johnny Cash rose 14 slots from #40 to what was then its peak position of #26, before dropping out completely 3 week later.

Now in its 2nd appearance, I Walk the Line rockets up a record-setting 22 notches, from #38 to #16, breaking the 19-position jump of All I Have to Do Is Dream way back in week #2.

Only one new song enters the top 10 this week, but it too sets a record.

Georgia on My Mind shoots up 6 places from #16 to #10 in its 11th week making it the song that took the most weeks to reach the top 10.

Georgia also becomes the highest peaking song for Ray Charles; I Can’t Stop Loving You had peaked at #15 back in week #7.

There are 7 former #1’s in this week’s countdown, including last week’s #1, Love Potion #9, which falls to #3 this week.

Sea of Love by Phil Phillips & the Twilights holds position at #2 this week after spending 1 week at #1 2 weeks ago.

And that means that for the 3rd straight week, there is a brand new #1 on the GO Top 40.

The new #1 song is:

:drummer:

You’ve Really Got a Hold on Me by the Miracles.

miracles.jpg

That does it for another week of Golden Oldies Top 40, which you can find on great web sites like www.songfacts.com. Until next week, keep your head in the stars :stars: and keep reaching for the ground. :doh:

Thanks for the great Wrap CeeJay. :coolio:

I see I've made a huge error ! I forgot that 'I Walk The Line' was in the Chart for 5 weeks previously. I marked it as 'New' instead of 'Re-entry' when it came back last week. So I'll have to change that to 7 weeks in - not 2 as I have now.

Sorry All and good pickup Jeff. :)

Fortunately the guy we got to DJ our prom wasn't completely unaware of what I was talking about, so everything went smoothly. The final song he played was Moon River. That was our "last dance" song.

And what a beautiful song that is. It was a huge Hit here in Australia. :)

Thanks Elena. :) It's good to get some Feedback !

Nobody except Kenne has had a go at the Question I asked 10 Posts back.

GOLDEN OLDIES TOP 40 #16 (week commencing May 31st 2009)

miracles.jpg

1. YOU’VE REALLY GOT A HOLD ON ME - MIRACLES

2. SEA OF LOVE - PHIL PHILLIPS & TWILIGHTS

3. LOVE POTION #9 - CLOVERS

4. IT’S MY PARTY - LESLEY GORE

5. BE MY BABY - RONETTES

6. BABY IT’S YOU - SHIRELLES

7. SHOP AROUND - MIRACLES f. SMOKEY ROBINSON

8. PLEASE MR.POSTMAN - MARVELETTES

9. POISON IVY - COASTERS

10. GEORGIA ON MY MIND - RAY CHARLES

11. ALL I HAVE TO DO IS DREAM - EVERLY BROTHERS

12. CRYING - ROY ORBISON

13. RUNAWAY - DEL SHANNON

14. TRAVELIN’ MAN - RICKY NELSON

15. SUMMERTIME BLUES - EDDIE COCHRAN

16. I WALK THE LINE - JOHNNY CASH

17. STAND BY ME - BEN E. KING

18. I'M READY - FATS DOMINO

19. MAYBELLENE - CHUCK BERRY

20. SINCE I DON’T HAVE YOU - SKYLINERS

21. LOUIE LOUIE - KINGSMEN (NEW)

22. DREAM LOVER - BOBBY DARIN

23. JOHNNY B. GOODE - CHUCK BERRY

24. SHERRY - THE 4 SEASONS

25. CATHY’S CLOWN - EVERLY BROTHERS

26. ONLY THE LONELY - ROY ORBISON

27. THAT’LL BE THE DAY - CRICKETS

28. CRAZY - PATSY CLINE

29. SEALED WITH A KISS - BRIAN HYLAND

30. SURFIN’ U.S.A. - BEACH BOYS

31. PALISADES PARK - FREDDY CANNON

32. UP ON THE ROOF - DRIFTERS

33. HE'S A REBEL - CRYSTALS

34. WAKE UP LITTLE SUSIE - EVERLY BROTHERS

35. HIT THE ROAD JACK - RAY CHARLES

36. RHYTHM OF THE RAIN - CASCADES

37. RETURN TO SENDER - ELVIS PRESLEY

38. ROCK-IN ROBIN - BOBBY DAY

39. MR.SANDMAN - CHORDETTES

40. COME GO WITH ME - DELL-VIKINGS (NEW)