Memorial Day ~ it's not too early...

Shawna

• 1 year later...

On a personal note... I'll be remembering my Dad who was a civilian working construction on Wake Island back in 1942 when the Japanese stormed the island and took him prisoner back in 1942. 3 years, 8 months and 4 days later he was freed and forever scarred.

Thank you Dad for the backbone to conquer almost anything.

:bow: :bow:

Blues, I can only imagine the horrors you father had to live through. He must have been a very strong man.

God bless those who gave their lives in the service of our country. To be honest, they are always not far from my thoughts. I work with a lot of veterans who have recently been in combat and have lost friends, not to mention the 4 people I have personally known that have been killed at work over the past 9 years. They are never far away.

I saw Sebastian Jungor on the Daily Show today (yes, I realize it's not a real news show), he just wrote a book about the 12 months he spent with the soldiers in combat. He said the soldiers are more afraid of committing an error that would result in the loss of one of their brothers than they are about being killed themselves.

How terribly selfless. :bow: I have nothing but respect and admiration for veterans, those killed in action, and anyone in active duty.

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - Winston Churchill

He said the soldiers are more afraid of committing an error that would result in the loss of one of their brothers than they are about being killed themselves.

I can definitely attest to that. I would rather be the one suffer a crippling/fatal wound than to see one of my friends go through it. I'm not exactly sure how to explain how I got that thought process, though.

Maybe we're all a bit kooky =:P

Audio Interlude

Marines' Hymn

yes and no... I've never been in the military, so I can only imagine. I do, however, know that when my son was born I finally realized what it was like to have someone on this earth for whom I would jump in front of a speeding train without hesitation.