Worst guitarist ever

MindCrime

Who do you think is the worst or overrated guitarist?

1. Noel Gallagher (Oasis) - He wired his pedals in the wrong way during the beginning, not because he's 'innovative', but because he's incompetent. Noel has said that "Scales are for fish", he uses only 1 pentatonic scale, which goes backwards and frontwards very slowly on each of their songs. His sense of feel, theory of music, subtly and even his technical ability are all questionable. His guitar work is very redundant and atrocious.

2. Kurt Cobain (Nirvana) - One of the easiest guitarists to learn at a beginning level, next to Neil Young. Simple chords and too much feedback and distortion.

3. Neil Young - He's a gifted songwriter, but his guitar playing overuses feedback.

4. Mark Tremonti (Creed) - Too much drop D tuning in his playing, which he falsely claims to be the inventor of.

5. Tom Morello (Rage Against the Machine) - Vastly overrated, his guitar work is considered creative, because most other guitarists have to do electronically to get that sound, but he mostly just fiddles with his knobs on his effects pedals. I never hear anything by him that is pleasant to listen to.

Others:

Rick Springfield - Never plugs-in

Paul Stanley (Kiss)

CC Deville (Poison)

Steve Jones (Sex Pistols)

Ad-Rock (Beastie Boys)

Jack White (White Stripes)

Wes Borland (Limp Bizkit)

2. Kurt Cobain (Nirvana) - One of the easiest guitarists to learn at a beginning level, next to Neil Young. Simple chords and too much feedback and distortion.

...which was precisely what made Nirvana so vital, exciting and accessible to a youth desperate for punk rock. You forgot to mention that the solo in Teen Spirit merely mimics the melody line.

Cobain never claimed to be a great guitarist, nor have I ever heard any critic claim him as a virtuoso, so it is redundant to criticise him as "bad" or "over-rated", at least where his guitarism is concerned. What you musos fail to understand is that most of us don't really care much how "technically-gifted" a performer is; it's what they sound like, the spirit they convey, the emotional response they evoke which matters. If a technically giftless guitarist can move people in various directions by making exciting and inspiring noises, 'tis good enough, I'd say.

Cobain never claimed to be a great guitarist, nor have I ever heard any critic claim him as a virtuoso, so it is redundant to criticise him as "bad" or "over-rated", at least where his guitarism is concerned.

Rolling Stone ranked him as the #9th greatest guitarist of all-time, just after Ry Cooder who played for a lot of great bands, but his talent on guitar is questionable.

Oh well, if Rolling Stone said so....

If Ry Cooder is so crap, why doesn't he feature in your list as over-rated? Since he's generally quite highly-rated. Even I rate Ry Cooder, and I really don't rate "guitarist-rating", as a rule.

As for Steve Jones (Sex Pistols) few and far between are those who would claim Jones as a great, technically-gifted guitar-player. However, he was the perfect guitarist for one of the best rock'n'roll bands of all time (so far). Which is different.

On a similar tack: who the hell ever claimed that Ad Rock was one of the all-time great guitarists? Nobody, that's who. He's probably no better than I am. But he is the Beastie Boys guitarist, and The Beasties ROCK like a bastard. QED.

Since we are talking about guitarists from moderately successful and popular bands, I would have trouble picking the worst i.e. someone unable to play competently since I don’t really feel qualified to judge them based on technical ability alone.

Also there are plenty of ones that could be viewed as overrated since there are lots of musicians able to play just as well if not better.

The problem is once someone or something reaches a critical mass of popularity or acclaim there comes the inevitable backlash known as “overratedâ€. It seems to happen with everything: songs, album, bands, genres etc. I prefer to steer clear of it. The music I like either says something to me or provokes something in me regardless of the general consensus, good or bad.

In my opinion most guitarists, at least in famous bands, are not particularly innovative but they do have a style which fits in well with the overall sound and message of their band. They may not be spectacular on their own like Hendrix or Clapton but they mesh well with the other elements of the band’s music. For example a genre like punk rock or grunge is considered to be loud, raw and simple so obviously a guitarist (like Kurt Cobain, Jack White or Johnny Ramone) in a punk/grunge band would have a pretty basic playing style but add to them an excellent rhythm section, decent vocalist, good lyrics and emotive delivery and they become great, in that context. And as Blind-Fitter pointed out technical excellence is not as important as the spirit behind the music.

That said and giving in to the temptation to defend musicians I like... a few thoughts on the first post’s list:

While I don’t think Noel is that talented or groundbreaking he does have an excellent ear for melody and for putting chords together that complements Oasis’ sound and attitude and makes up for his lack of playing ability. And even he called himself “averageâ€.

Secondly Rage’s music is what I consider true hard rock: explosive, intense and with a point and that is largely due to Morello’s incredible use of effects and his dynamic, vicious riffs which nicely mirror Zach’s intensely passionate rants. In my opinion few guitarists rock harder or better.

Wow,this is a good one...the worst? It all depends on the rest of the band... I personally think (and I don't know) whoever the guitarist is for "the cramps" OMG...one of the worst guitar solo's ever...and I've had one or two bad one's... (out of tune or a broken string)...and... "don't pick on Neil Young" cmon... alot of distortion is sometimes good...all these names as the worst... ??? This is going to be controversial (sp) I'm going to pick..."Keef Richards" and I know I'll get clobbered but "I've always admired him" and then he did one of the worst shows (not with the Stone's)Just an opinion...btw...I saw Ron Wood with Bo Diddley and he's a very good guitarist... :cool:

Seems like you have pretty good music taste..but I wonder what bands you like..anyways most overrated bands..excluding Fall out boy and nickelback..wow that's tough...I'd have to agree with you..he does appear to be getting a bit over hyped..I'd also say Ozzy Osbourne..many people would disagree with me..but honestly can't stand him at all

• 3 weeks later...

What you musos fail to understand is that most of us don't really care much how "technically-gifted" a performer is; it's what they sound like, the spirit they convey, the emotional response they evoke which matters. If a technically giftless guitarist can move people in various directions by making exciting and inspiring noises, 'tis good enough, I'd say.

:bow: :bow: :bow:

I agree completely - I'd much rather listen to a "bad" guitarist who conveys emotion than someone who knows every note and never makes a mistake. It sounds more... human to me.