The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #167

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apart from the clean and comfortable Songfacts T-shirt you receive when you get songs into the Top Ten three weeks in a row of course.

I had 3 #1's in a row and several consecutive months of making the top 3 and I didn't get a T-Shirt :puppyeyes:

'Fraid I have to agree with Mr. Fitter...

Ditto give of take one or two. I really liked BF's Smog nomination tho. I had never heard them before but will be listening to more by them for sure.

He has (among others) introduced me to several new songs I would never had heard if not for the TT's :thumbsup:

To bad "Fire In Freetown" didn't make it. It did get a few points tho :D

I never said it was like winning the Miss America Pageant, but it is a competition. We've had people:

1. Complain about too much of the Beatles, Stones, Who, etc.

2. Drop out because nobody voted for their songs.

3. Complain because statistics of top nominators were given.

But it doesn't change the fact that the TT's are fun and lot's of people like to play each week..or take part if it isn't a game.

I don't think anyone complained because they were not on the list (correct me if I'm wrong); rather simply because they don't think of this as a competition. Too much Stones, Beatles etc is just because it gets boring... and it's been a long time since someone dropped out because nobody voted for their songs.

I really don't see this as a competition. I never did, and I'm a little surprised other people do. That never even crossed my mind.

I like to play and winning is of course nice but thats not really why I play at all.

It's cool to hear new stuff and to share new stuff. That is manly what motivates me playing these days. Winning is cool at first but after you've played several rounds I think it becomes more about sharing and hearing music you've never heard before.

The PTTs were awesome for that reason. I liked it so much the first time I'd love to do again :coolio:

Well, I for one am pleased that Pat Benatar made it into the Ten this week. It wouldn't have mattered to me which song of hers made it in, she was a glaring omission. It's an added bonus that the song made it to #1, but that surely doesn't shed any glory onto me just because I nominated it. I'm just as pleased that Wicked Game made it in at #10 ... that's a freaking great song. Sugar Sugar deserves to be #1 just as much, and I couldn't be happier it finally got on the list, and dang it the rest of the list is ok, no complaints from me.

I hope that everyone realizes that this week was a bit out of the oridinary, because the purpose is to nominate & vote for songs, not artists. We did artists this week simply to spice things up a bit, as we occasionally do. That resulted in a lot of things being nominated I believe that we might not normally have seen, which is both good for the game, and for the diversity of our evergrowing Top Ten list. So, maybe some are happy with the results, and some maybe aren't, but please realize, this was a once-off, and at the very least it was different.

The Ten's were never intended to be a competition at all, but a game. For me the competition is between songs and artists not individuals. For example, it's interesting when, say, a Springsteen song beat out Nirvana, or Pearl Jam beat the Stones. (puhleeze, like that would ever happen. ( I'm flippin' kidding ... just kidding! ) :D

I've not ever been aware of anyone dropping out because no one votes for their songs ... has there been? I think probably it may have more to do with losing interest, or maybe not being familiar enough with the nominations that they just flat don't feel like listening to batches of new stuff every single week. Or possibly they just don't have the enormous amounts of free time that many of us apparently do. ;)

Anyway, I love playing this silly game, and it seems as though many others do as well, cause we've been going strong for this long, with more to come. I suggested we play it this way this week because of the grumbling last week. I suggested the current specials to Radhi, just becasue we need something new to play at once in a while. Let's just sit back, play the game ..... and may the best song win! ;)