Top Tens by Decade - The 1950s

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Songfacts says the same ;)

but one fact is a bit puzzling...

[surfin' USA] was based on Chuck Berry's 1958 hit "Sweet Little Sixteen." The lyrics are only slightly different, with "St. Louis" replaced by "Del Mar" and New Orleans replaced with "Santa Cruz." The Beach Boys did it as a tribute to Berry, but didn't get his permission first. When Berry threatened to sue, The Beach Boys agreed to give him most of the royalties and list him as the song's composer.

they sound a bit more than 'slightly different' to me... or did I miss anything? :P

Yikes you're right, the lyrics are completely different. The words mirror almost the exact same sounds, maybe that's what they meant? I'd say Surfin' U.S.A. is more than based on Sweet Little Sixtenn ... did someone actually have trouble figuring that out? :D

You know what, I've always been really familiar with Berry's songs, and this one is probably the one St Louis loves the best, just because he mentions his hometown, (duh), but I never realized something. I have literally moved from St Louis to Del Mar . That's funny. ;)

Edited by Guest

I'm very pleased that this Special has a 50s Theme. :)

It might even get a few more people interested in the Top 40 !

I'll nominate the first two Singles I bought on those newfangled, unbreakable, 7 inch 45 r.p.m. records, which replaced the 10 inch, very breakable, 78s.

The Great Pretender - The Platters

(We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock - Bill Haley and his Comets