Metallica Guitarist's Car Lost In Bet

Viaene

Metallica Guitarist's Car Lost In Bet

While it’s true that celebrity memorabilia gets sold through eBay every day, very few items have stories as interesting as the one attached to a 1989 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 that used to belong to Kirk Hammett of Metallica.

"There is an interesting piece of Metallica history involving this car," the seller writes on the item’s auction page. "In 1991 shortly before the release of the eponymous Metallica album (known as the Black Album) Kirk and Tour Manager Tony Smith were on a flight talking about the upcoming album release. Kirk mentioned that he was concerned that it might be a little to different for people to accept. Tony said not to be concerned and that it would probably sell 10 million copies. Kirk responded by saying that if it did sell 10 million copies that he would give Tony his new prized possession Porsche."

It continues, "For a couple of years this became the source of some good natured fun and teasing between the band members and Tony. A few years later, while the band was touring, the Black Album was certified as 10x platinum (10 million sold in the USA.) By this time the conversation about the Porsche had been mostly forgotten. However, at the end of one leg of the tour, Kirk gave Tony an envelope. Inside were the ownership documents and the keys to his Porsche 911 Carrera 4. It was a very special time for all those involved who new the meaning behind the gesture. This is how this car can now be offered for sale to you by Tony Smith."

Hammett confirmed in a 2008 interview that he lost the car in the bet, reports Blabbermouth.net, "I told our tour manager on the 'black album,' 'if it sells over 10 million copies, I will give you my Porsche. He called me up when it sold 10 million and one."

He later goes on to say that the car’s owner tried to sell it back in 2007 when he was facing health problems. "He put it on eBay," Kirk said. "He was having health problems. He called: 'Is it OK if I sell it?' I said, 'Hey bro, I gave it to you. You can do whatever you want with it.'"

In addition to the car, the winning bidder will receive various car receipts, all signed by Kirk, and a plethora of Metallica goodies ranging from picks to photos to tour passes.

The car currently has a starting bid of $27,000 and zero bids. Bidding ends on May 19.