Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds --- Confusion On The Songfacts

babyteen

Now I'm confused. In the article about this song on Wikipedia, it says the girl was named Lucy O'Donnell. Then I just read here that the girl that Julian drew was Lucy Richardson. Which of those two Lucy's was it? Between this and the one on Wikipedia, which article is right? It seems that half the sources I've read tell me that it was Lucy Richardson, and then some say that it's Lucy O'Donnell. Others have even said that it was Lucy Cook, daughter of British comedienne Peter Cook. Now I'm really confused! Can someone please clear this up for me? Any Beatles experts out there?

How would I contact Julian? Isn't he living in England? I wonder if he has an Email address.

seeing that he seemingly never talked about it in the 40 years since the song was written, I doubt he would give an answer to you even if you'd find an email address of him... no offence ;)

While I know I posted THIS recently... I've done some "extensive" research, and some may be surprised at my findings, then some may not.

The REAL Lucy referred to in the Beatles songs is...

-none other than.....

You ready?

2vvw0wg.jpg

LUCY VAN PELT!

While I know I posted THIS recently... I've done some "extensive" research, and some may be surprised at my findings, then some may not.

The REAL Lucy referred to in the Beatles songs is...

-none other than.....

You ready?

2vvw0wg.jpg

LUCY VAN PELT!

Are you serious? The Lucy from Charlie Brown? The one who's in love with Schroeder? She's 'the' Lucy?

seeing that he seemingly never talked about it in the 40 years since the song was written, I doubt he would give an answer to you even if you'd find an email address of him... no offence ;)

Who knows? :shades: Maybe you could write his mom, Mrs. Cynthia Whoknowswhatbynow... she's quite cool... :cool:

Or ask the record company... or here: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1970885/retro_rewind_ask_julian_lennon_a_question/

Or here: http://www.lennon.net/

Now actually Lucy was another Lucy...

This is the famous Lucy!! :bow:

lucilleball.jpg

Who knows? :shades: Maybe you could write his mom, Mrs. Cynthia Whoknowswhatbynow... she's quite cool... :cool:

Or ask the record company... or here: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1970885/retro_rewind_ask_julian_lennon_a_question/

Or here: http://www.lennon.net/

Now actually Lucy was another Lucy...

This is the famous Lucy!! :bow:

lucilleball.jpg

Who was she? Was it Lucy O'Donnell? Lucy Richardson? Lucy Cook? Which one?

That´s Lucille Ball, the star in "I Love Lucy", the TV show she had with husband Desi Arnaz in the fifties (or sixties)...

I was joking, Babyteen... ;) I really don´t know which Lucy was the star in Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds... and don´t know how to know it. I guess we´ll have to live with that doubt... :)

• 5 weeks later...

Julian Lennon Aids Real-Life 'Lucy'

from Spinner

Julian Lennon, the son of late Beatle John Lennon, is throwing his support behind childhood friend Lucy O'Donnell, -- the girl behind the Beatles tune 'Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds' -- who is suffering from the auto-immune disease lupus.

"I've been able to help out a bit," Lennon said of O'Donnell, now Lucy Vodden, 46, from Surrey, England. "I was so upset to hear what happened."

Julien Lennon met Lucy in nursery school, drew a picture of her with diamond-shaped eyes and showed his father, thus inspiring the song, which appeared on 1967's 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.' The song has long been the subject of speculation, however, with many maintaining that it's a reference to LSD. The Beatles have admitted to using the drug around that time.

Meanwhile, Lucy is happy to have reconnected with Julian. "It was lovely of Julian [to get in touch]."

Posted by Georgia Kral on Jun 9th 2009 5:00PM

Filed under: News, Holy Hell

• 4 weeks later...

It's not a big deal about which lucy. Lennon Jr. returned home with a picture that he drew himself, and showed it to dad, when John asked what it was, his answer was "it is lucy in the sky with diamonds"

no reference to drugs, John just thought that would be a super title for a song.