Golden Oldies Top 40 #14

_Laurie_

I think that all who are going to have voted, so here's...

GOLDEN OLDIES TOP 40 #14 (week commencing May 17th 2009)

jukebox2.gif

Please CLICK HERE to view the full Chart in PDF Format.

(Click on to open, then enlarge on your browser).

Many thanks to those who helped create this Top 40.

Your feedback is most welcome. :headphones:

Hello again, DJ Ceejay is on the web. Everybody’s working for the weekend and every weekend we count down the 40 greatest hits from the 1950’s through 1963 right here on www.songfacts.com. So don’t move that mouse!

3 songs drop out of the chart this week

Lonely Teardrops by Jackie Wilson drops out after a 2-week run, where it peaked at #38.

The Chiffons also fall out of the top 40 after a 2 week stay this week, with He’s So Fine, which topped off at #28.

And the chart-topper on the very 1st GO-40 chart 13 weeks ago, finally falls out this week as well: Don’t Be Cruel by Elvis Presley.

3 new songs take their place, starting off at #40 with the first-ever reentry into the GO-40. Rhythm of the Rain by the Cascades was last in our chart in week #8, after a 5-week run, peaking at #27. This week, it peeks back into the chart at #40 in its 6th non-consecutive chart week.

Fats Domino notches his first chart entry, coming in at #36 with I’m Ready.

And Bobby Darin, who previously scored a top-5 hit with Mack the Knife, this week has our highest debut at #30 with Dream Lover.

Several songs make big leaps in the GO-40 this week, 3 of them songs in their 2nd chart week:

Return to Sender by Elvis Presley moves up 11 spots from #40 to #29.

Wake Up Little Susie by the Everly Brothers gains 10 notches from #36 to #26, and

Sherry by the 4 Seasons becomes the group’s biggest hit to date, climbing 14 slots from #39 to #25.

Also making large jumps this week are:

Georgia on My Mind by Ray Charles, which scores its highest ranking to date in its 9th chart week, moving up from #24 to #19, and

Poison Ivy by the Coasters, which rises 9 points from #23 to #14.

This brings us to this week’s top 10. Up until now, only 3 artists have had more than 1 song in the top 10 in the same chart week:

Elvis Presley had at least 3 songs in the top 10 from week #1 through week #5,

Ben E. King was in the top 10 with 2 songs from week #6 through week #9, with his solo hit Stand by Me and as lead singer of the Drifters on Up on theRoof,

and the Everly Brothers had 2 top 10’s from week #10 through week #12 with All I Have to Do Is Dream and Cathy’s Clown.

And this week, they have company.

Entering the top 10, with a 5 position leap from #15 to #10 is Shop Around by Smokey Robinson & the Miracles.

And shooting up 12 places, all the way from #18 to #6, is yet another song by Smokey & the Miracles, You’ve Really Got a Hold on Me.

Further up the top 10, Love Potion #9 by the Clovers makes a 7-point leap within the 10 from #10 to #3, while the song that held down the #1 spot for the last 2 weeks, Be My Baby, slides back a notch to #2. That means, we have another new #1 this week:

:drummer:

Sea of Love by Phil Philips & the Twilights :happybanana:

That's all for this week folks. I'll be on vacation next weekend, so Darryl will be recruiting a guest DJ for our Memorial Day installment, and I'll be back with another recap in 2 weeks. Until then, keep your head in the stars :stars: and keep reaching for the ground. :doh:

PPH.jpg

GOLDEN OLDIES TOP 40 #14 (WEEK ENDED 17 MAY 2009)

1. SEA OF LOVE - PHIL PHILLIPS WITH THE TWILIGHTS

2. BE MY BABY - RONETTES

3. LOVE POTION #9 - CLOVERS

4. RUNAWAY - DEL SHANNON

5. IT’S MY PARTY - LESLEY GORE

6. YOU’VE REALLY GOT A HOLD ON ME - MIRACLES

7. TRAVELIN’ MAN - RICKY NELSON

8. BABY IT’S YOU - SHIRELLES

9. SURFIN’ U.S.A. BEACH BOYS

10. SHOP AROUND - MIRACLES f. SMOKEY ROBINSON

11. ALL I HAVE TO DO IS DREAM - EVERLY BROTHERS

12. SINCE I DON’T HAVE YOU - SKYLINERS

13. PLEASE MR.POSTMAN - MARVELETTES

14. POISON IVY - COASTERS

15. CRAZY - PATSY CLINE

16. CRYING - ROY ORBISON

17. CATHY’S CLOWN - EVERLY BROTHERS

18. STAND BY ME - BEN E. KING

19. GEORGIA ON MY MIND - RAY CHARLES

20. SEALED WITH A KISS - BRIAN HYLAND

21. THAT’LL BE THE DAY - CRICKETS

22. SUMMERTIME BLUES - EDDIE COCHRAN

23. HIT THE ROAD JACK - RAY CHARLES

24. UP ON THE ROOF - DRIFTERS

25. SHERRY - THE 4 SEASONS

26. WAKE UP LITTLE SUSIE - EVERLY BROTHERS

27. FEVER - PEGGY LEE

28. PALISADES PARK - FREDDY CANNON

29. RETURN TO SENDER - ELVIS PRESLEY

30. DREAM LOVER - BOBBY DARIN (NEW)

31. YOU SEND ME - SAM COOKE

32. ROCK-IN ROBIN - BOBBY DAY

33. MAYBELLENE - CHUCK BERRY

34. JOHNNY B. GOODE - CHUCK BERRY

35. MY BOYFRIEND’S BACK - ANGELS

36. I'M READY - FATS DOMINO (NEW)

37. LOVE IS STRANGE - MICKEY and SYLVIA

38. ONLY THE LONELY - ROY ORBISON

39. SUGAR SHACK - JIMMY GILMER & THE FIREBALLS

40. RHYTHM OF THE RAIN - CASCADES (R/E)

GO TOP 40 PLAYLIST (Courtesy of Dappled). :headphones:

Until then, keep your head in the stars :stars: and keep reaching for the ground. :doh:

Nice job, once again cj, and I'm enjoying not only the week's wrapup, but the playlist ... Thanks Dappled! Nifty little collaboration y'all have got here. :thumbsup: