What is the most recognizable lyric line ever?

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At times, for me, it looks like the Guess the Song From the Lyrics game and if the song's title is needed... :P

So on that note, a few "newer" tunes:

"Is it getting better or do you feel the same"

"That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight losing my religion"

"Sometimes I feel like I don't have a partner"

"Maybe... your gonna be the one that saves me"

and who could forget

"Mmmbop ba duba dop ba

Du bop ba duba dop ba

Du bop ba duba dop ba du" (well it went to #1 in 27 countries)

I guess Spain was not one of the 27 countries, my bad... but it sort of illustrated my point. :P

Maybe it was... but I don´t listen to the radio or watch TV, I don´t go to disco or bars... :cool: and I didn´t have internet by then...

Livin' on reds, Vitamin C, and cocaine,

All a friend can say is, "Ain't it a shame?"

All the leaves are brown, and the sky is gray...

By the time we got to Woodstock, we were half a million strong,

And everywhere there was song and celebration.

There's a man with a gun over there

Telling me I got to beware

Edited by Guest

At times, for me, it looks like the Guess the Song From the Lyrics game and if the song's title is needed...

So on that note, a few "newer" tunes

The most accurate answers to the question are at the beginning of the thread, because as we go on, we need to think that little bit harder and the songs get that little bit more unrecognisable.

I disagree with both these statements.. There are actually very few lyrics posted here that I don't recognize. I think MC put this thread in the "Classic" thread for a reason. Many (most)of these lyrics are classic rock lyrics, because those would tend to be the most recognizable ones, sheerly because they've been around longer. They may be more recognizable to some of us older people simply because of the numbers of times we've heard them. It's bound to be the reverse for younger people.

I think you could go older, and find lyrics even more recognizable, while possibly less popular:

Earth Angel, Earth Angel, will you be mine ..

Sloopy lives in a very bad part of town And everybody here tries to put my Sloopy down ...

That's when I fell for the leader of the pack ...

Edited by Guest

My young beloved friends, if you were to post lines from Jesus Jones, The Mooney Suzuki, The Distractions, Kula Shaker, Neutral Milk Hotel, Blind Melon, Linking Park, Muse, Blur, Coldplay, Greenday, My Chemical Romance, Slipknot, Libertines, Fratellis, Arctic Monkeys, etc, they wouldn´t be the most recognizable lyric lines ever... just like Lucky said, we are talking classic rock... those bands will probably become classics but you have to give them time... :cool:

I don't think anyone was claiming that the above mentioned bands have any of the "most recognisable lyrics", but you have to admit that there's a difference between lyrics from songs that all music lovers (regardless of age and nationality) immediately recognise and lyrics of songs that classic rock fans immediately recognise... right? :)

I'm dreaming of a white christmas...