What is the most recognizable lyric line ever?

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think, if we look for a line that's known by 3 generations for now, BlueAngel's right:

"We are the champions

No time for losers

Cause we are the champions - of the world."

Also:

hello hello hello hello

(from the Nirvana guys)

Also:

hello hello hello hello

(from the Nirvana guys)

if you hadn't mentioned the band I wouldn't have known what you meant :crazy:

it's not really easy if you don't also have the right melody in mind...

here we are now - entertain us!

It may have already been mentioned and if it has, my hat's off to the contributor.

To me, the most memorable (recognizable lyric) line (actually word) was simply:

Something . . .

Wonder who wrote that?

Frank Sinatra himself said and I quote;

"The most beautiful love song ever written." ^

I'm not biased, I just agree with the "ole crooner."

If "Something" is not memorable (recognizable), then Alzheimer's, unfortunately, is affecting more young than old.

"Something" was by FAR more than the title (or lyric/line, as it were), it WAS the whole song; lyric, word, line, sentence, paragraph, essay, draft, novella, novel...for lack of a perfect word...

PURRFECTION.

(don't take my word for it, though)

:D

" Drove my Chevy to the levee , but the levee was dry "

" the answer is blowin' in the wind "

" I did it my way "

" I can't get no ...satisfaction "

" and I think it's gonna be a long ,long time "

" Down in the West Texas town of El Paso "

Edited by Guest

I think it's clear that what people think is recognizable depends on their respective tastes in musical genres, their ages, as well as their own nationalities. As far as popular music goes, there will be no one lyric that is universally considered "most recognizable".

However, if you really want something recognizable across the planet, try:

children's songs (i.e., "Happy birthday to you"; "Twinkle, twinkle, little star")

classic film/theatre songs ("Somewhere over the rainbow"; "The hills are alive ...")

and holiday songs ("Chestnuts roasting on an open fire", "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas").

That's a good point ,CJ . I think it also depends on how seriously one takes the title of threads such as these . We have so many " the most " or " the best " , etc. threads that run into the same problems . I always assume they are thinking of pop/rock/rap music that the members likely would know which limits the selections and rarely arrives at a definitive answer .

Certainly not , but I sometimes wish tighter parameters could be placed in the opening post so that we could consider our answers with a bit more thought relating to them . Otherwise , we each will nominate based on our own understanding of the question posed .

Re: your wife's suggestion : As a song lyric ,Lee ? I haven't been to church in awhile but I'll add " Morning has broken " in the same vein then . Both are spoken/sung numerous times and familiar to many for sure .

Yes indeed, Kevin. A smash hit, I do believe. Sister Janet Mead, a good Australian girl, was nominated for a Grammy, and the single went to #4 in the US in 1974.

Anyway, I told my wife to go stick her head up a dead bear's bum, because it was a stupid suggestion, and because she loves it when I talk to her like that.

LBB

And you were within your rights to do so . :laughing: I remember that song , but it had a limited life on the airwaves as disco was just around the corner , and was to be heard nevermore ... :D

"Everybody was Kung Fu fighting " ;)

Edited by Guest

:bow: :bow: Mr. Neil Young :bow: :bow:

I want to live with a Cinnamon Girl;

I could be happy the rest of my life

with a Cinnamon Girl.

I've been to Hollywood

I've been to Redwood

I crossed the ocean for a heart of gold

Lullabies look in your eyes,

run around the same old town,

doesn't mean that much to me

to mean that much to you.

Look out, Mama,

there's a white boat comin' up the river ....

( I could go on and on... :D )....Blame Viaene, he got me started!!!!

I think it's clear that what people think is recognizable depends on their respective tastes in musical genres, their ages, as well as their own nationalities. As far as popular music goes, there will be no one lyric that is universally considered "most recognizable".

However, if you really want something recognizable across the planet, try:

children's songs (i.e., "Happy birthday to you"; "Twinkle, twinkle, little star")

classic film/theatre songs ("Somewhere over the rainbow"; "The hills are alive ...")

and holiday songs ("Chestnuts roasting on an open fire", "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas").

CJ,

I truly couldn't have said it better myself and wonder why I didn't say it first!

When you throw such an imaginitive twist such as that then I'll shut my mouth, watch and learn!

Thanks for such wonderful insight!

:)