Golden Oldies Top 40 #13

OLD 55

Is it possible to come up with a list of the most successful songs that have charted on this weekly ten, based on their peaks and time spent on the chart?

Hi Kenne. :) Do you mean weekly 40, not just the top 10 ?

I could go back and compile a list of the Top Songs, sure.

That's how I arrived at the positions for Top 40 #1, from 'Billboard's' yearly ratings. But it might be a bit soon yet.

Runaway would certainly be our Top Song to date, with 4 weeks @ #1 + 7 more in the Top Ten and one at #17 on debut.

:headphones:

You may have more luck with one of his more well known entries, such as A Teenager in Love, Runaround Sue or the Wanderer.

...but I absolutely love "(I Was) Born To Cry"... It´s a great song... Johnny Thunders made a cover and you can hardly tell who is who...

Hello again and welcome to Golden Oldies Top 40, where every week we count down the 40 greatest hits from the 1950’s through 1963 on great web sites, like www.songfacts.com. I’m DJ Ceejay, and I’ll be your host.

4 songs drop out of the chart this week, including 2 songs which were on the original chart 12 weeks ago.

(We’re Gonna) Rock Around the Clock by Bill Haley & his Comets was #9 on that first chart, then leapfrogged all the way to #1 the following week. Now it drops out after a 12 week run, as does

Heartbreak Hotel by Elvis Presley, which was #12 in week #1, and peaked at #6 two weeks later.

Also dropping out are I Walk the Line by Johnny Cash, which peaked at #26, and Earth Angel (Will You Be Mine) by the Penguins, which topped out at #35, both after 5 week runs in the countdown.

Leading off our countdown at #40 is the 12th song by Elvis Presley to reach our countdown, and the first debut for an Elvis song since Can’t Help Falling in Love in week #2, Return to Sender.

Returning to the 40 after a 6-week absence are Frankie Valli & the 4 Seasons. They reached #35 with Big Girls Don’t Cry; this week they enter at #39 with their second chart entry, Sherry.

Coming in at #37 is the first entry for Jimmy Gilmer & the Fireballs, Sugar Shack.

And the highest debut this week at #36 is one of 3 songs in this week’s countdown for the Everly Brothers, Wake Up Little Susie.

That brings us to our GO-40 spotlight this week, which shines on acts with multiple songs in this week’s chart.

Along with their new entry, Wake Up Little Susie, Phil and Don have 2 songs which both fall out of the top 10 this week:

Cathy’s Clown which spent the last 3 weeks at #10 falls to #13, and All I Have to Do Is Dream, a former #1, this week slips from #9 to #11.

There are also 5 acts with 2 songs each in this week’s countdown:

Elvis Presley, with Return to Sender and Don’t Be Cruel at #33 (it was the #1 song way back in week #1)

Chuck Berry, with Maybelline (#35) and Johnny B. Goode (#25)

The Miracles, with You’ve Really Got a Hold on Me at #18 and Shop Around at #15

Roy Orbison, with Only the Lonely at #34 and Crying (a #1 3 weeks ago) at #9,

and Ray Charles with Hit the Road Jack at #20 and one of the biggest movers in the countdown this week, Georgia on My Mind, which leaps 9 spots from #33 to #24.

Also shooting up 9 notches this week is the first of 2 new entries in the top 10,

up from #19 to #10, Love Potion #9 by the Clovers.

The other new entry in the top 10 climbs 7 slots from #11 all the way to #4: It’s My Party by Lesley Gore.

Baby It’s You slides up 2 spots from #5 to #3, while Sea of Love by Phil Phillips & the Twilights leapfrogs over it to move from #6 to #2.

That leaves us at #1, where for the 2nd week in a row, the #1 song is:

:drummer:

Be My Baby by the Ronettes.

So long for now. Until next week, keep your head in the stars :stars: and keep reaching for the ground. :doh:

Good countdown, DJ Ceejay! :bow:

Here's a question for you & Darryl. I wonder if you could post a link to the PDF version of the week's new Top 40? I like to use that one, as I can open it & leave it, and it would be nice to refer to along with the countdown.

GOLDEN OLDIES TOP 40 #13 (week commencing May 10th 2009)

Ronettes%20Red_thumb.jpg

1. BE MY BABY - RONETTES

2. SEA OF LOVE - PHIL PHILLIPS & THE TWILIGHTS

3. BABY IT’S YOU - SHIRELLES

4. IT’S MY PARTY - LESLEY GORE

5. RUNAWAY - DEL SHANNON

6. TRAVELIN’ MAN - RICKY NELSON

7. CRAZY - PATSY CLINE

8. SURFIN’ U.S.A. - BEACH BOYS

9. CRYING - ROY ORBISON

10. LOVE POTION #9 - CLOVERS

11. ALL I HAVE TO DO IS DREAM - EVERLY BROTHERS

12. PLEASE MR.POSTMAN - MARVELETTES

13. CATHY’S CLOWN - EVERLY BROTHERS

14. SINCE I DON’T HAVE YOU - SKYLINERS

15. SHOP AROUND - MIRACLES f. SMOKEY ROBINSON

16. SEALED WITH A KISS BRIAN HYLAND

17. STAND BY ME - BEN E. KING

18. YOU’VE REALLY GOT A HOLD ON ME - MIRACLES

19. SUMMERTIME BLUES - EDDIE COCHRAN

20. HIT THE ROAD JACK - RAY CHARLES

21. THAT’LL BE THE DAY - CRICKETS

22. FEVER - PEGGY LEE

23. POISON IVY - COASTERS

24. GEORGIA ON MY MIND - RAY CHARLES

25. JOHNNY B. GOODE - CHUCK BERRY

26. MY BOYFRIEND’S BACK - ANGELS

27. UP ON THE ROOF - DRIFTERS

28. YOU SEND ME - SAM COOKE

29. HE’S SO FINE - CHIFFONS

30. PALISADES PARK - FREDDY CANNON

31. LOVE IS STRANGE - MICKEY and SYLVIA

32. ROCK-IN ROBIN - BOBBY DAY

33. DON’T BE CRUEL - ELVIS PRESLEY

34. ONLY THE LONELY - ROY ORBISON

35. MAYBELLENE - CHUCK BERRY

36. WAKE UP LITTLE SUSIE - EVERLY BROTHERS (NEW)

37. SUGAR SHACK - JIMMY GILMER & THE FIREBALLS (NEW)

38. LONELY TEARDROPS - JACKIE WILSON

39. SHERRY - THE 4 SEASONS (NEW)

40. RETURN TO SENDER - ELVIS PRESLEY (NEW)

Edited by Guest
UPDATED PDF LINK. :)