Billy Joel

RonH

RE: SONG:"You're My Home"

QUESTION: In the stanza; "If I travel all my life and I never get stop and settle down, long as I have you by my side there's a roof above and good walls all around", Why didn't Joel write it; "If I travel all my life, and I never get stop and settle down long as I have you as my wife there's a roof above and good walls all around"? Joel seemed to miss such an obvious rhyme (Life / Wife)! The "Wife version" would have rhymed better and been more appropriate as a love-song written specifically for ... HIS WIFE! Joel is a talented songwriter and prolific balladeer. In several songs he included nuances that showcase his writing skills and his ear. I can't believe this missed rhyme was just an oversight. Thoughts?

I would not think it an oversight so much as maybe he didn't want to go for the obvious. And perhaps he didn't write it for his wife... maybe he wrote it for someone else in his life. Or maybe she wasn't his wife yet.

Songs would get pretty boring if they were always predictable, no?

That doesn't look like shoddy rhyming to me. The main rhyme is "down/around", and "life/side" is a fine pair for the non-stressed centre of the lines.

I hope we have moved past lips/fingertips by now, to a point where we can be more flexible and just *hint* at rhyme when the situation demands.

But then again, I'm no poet ;-)

LBB

That doesn't look like shoddy rhyming to me. The main rhyme is "down/around", and "life/side" is a fine pair for the non-stressed centre of the lines.

I hope we have moved past lips/fingertips by now, to a point where we can be more flexible and just *hint* at rhyme when the situation demands.

But then again, I'm no poet ;-)

LBB

Oh, no - I'm not pinpointing this song. I just mean that I can understand the OP's frustration as I've felt the same way with some lyrics. You instinctively fill in a better word when the one the writer chose just doesn't 'fit' :)

FYI. The Piano Man album was released in November 1973, only 2 months after Billy Joel married his first wife, so it is likely that the song was written, and may have even been recorded, before they were married. In any event, using the words "by my side" instead of "as my wife" gives more fans (male and female) singing at home the chance to sing along to their loved ones, married or not.

Given the "shoddy rhyme" argument, I guess most artists are guilty of it. My two all-time favorites are forever writing songs that don't rhyme exactly... but in music, it works, because it's the vowel that's sung, not the consonants.

So when Stevie Nicks sings, "Thunder only happens when it's raining

Players only love you when they're playing"

it works because the sound of it is close enough.

I much prefer 'by my side' to 'as my wife'. Nothing to do with rhyming or anything like that, it just seems a lot nicer. "As my wife" would be a bit 'Billy Joel's love song for Billy Joel's wife', and you know how some songs just seem TOO personal? Not sure why this one word is making such a difference to me, but it is. :P

Taking into account cj's FYI, by my side makes complete sense, and makes the song more universal and less personal.

I do agree with Radhi though, inefficient (or rather ineffectual) rhyming can be annoying as h*ll. :P

By the way welcome to SF Ron. Nice intial question/post. :)

Edited by Guest

I much prefer 'by my side' to 'as my wife'. Nothing to do with rhyming or anything like that, it just seems a lot nicer. "As my wife" would be a bit 'Billy Joel's love song for Billy Joel's wife', and you know how some songs just seem TOO personal? Not sure why this one word is making such a difference to me, but it is. :P

Billy Joel writing a song that was a personal 'Billy Joel's love song for Billy Joel's wife'? No way! ;)

Assonance is infinitely preferable to rhyme. There is little worse in poetry than "rhymes" being shoehorned in, to the detriment of sense, melody or rhythmic flow.

Moreover, there are very few rhymes for the word "life" in the English language. "Wife", "strife" and "knife" being the three to spring immediately to mind. Consequently, any attempt to combine any of the aforementioned words in rhyme risks a trite, banal and cliched outcome, which a songwriter of Joel's undoubted talent would wish to avoid. There is no conceivable justification for "as my wife" to be considered preferable to that which Joel actually intended to say. If that wasn't what he meant to say, why say it? To make it "rhyme better"? Meh!

Assonance is infinitely preferable to rhyme. There is little worse in poetry than "rhymes" being shoehorned in, to the detriment of sense, melody or rhythmic flow.

Moreover, there are very few rhymes for the word "life" in the English language. "Wife", "strife" and "knife" being the three to spring immediately to mind. Consequently, any attempt to combine any of the aforementioned words in rhyme risks a trite, banal and cliched outcome, which a songwriter of Joel's undoubted talent would wish to avoid. There is no conceivable justification for "as my wife" to be considered preferable to that which Joel actually intended to say. If that wasn't what he meant to say, why say it? To make it "rhyme better"? Meh!

I just love that you're so able to articulate exactly what it is I want to say.

But if it IS in fact about his wife, it seems to be missing the obvious.

Obvious, but not necessarily related to what the writer is trying to say. The important thing about my relationship with Francesca, for example, is that she is "by my side". Whether or not she is my wife is relatively unimportant to me, and more of a legal/societal matter than a personal one.

Plus, "wife" would be a bit naff ;-)

LBBBB

To be honest, I don't really like the word 'wife' in a song because then listeners have more limits on them when they 'adopt' it as their own. You can't sing it to girlfriends without freaking them out. 'By my side' is definitely more saleable. 'Wife' is just not a good word in a song - it makes it sound old. If you want to attract a young crowd (which should be the aim of anyone selling anything) you appeal to young sentiments and young sentiments don't include marriage (though they do include love).

BUT from a rhyme perspective you can NOT deny 'wife' is a better rhyme than 'side' when it comes to 'life' no matter how boring, banal, trivial, expected, ho-hum, unimaginative, cliche etc. it is.

(no, you can't - like, don't try)