How do you deal with stress & bad moods?

MindCrime

Sex is good for that.

I went to see my doctor last week and just busted into tears when she came in because I've been so stressed out about some stuff... she prescribed yoga, hiking, and sex. Said that all of those things release endorphins that make you happy and relieve stress.

I don't normally open up to personal stuff, but a year ago a business was jerking me around, I yelled at the guy on the phone, finally got it resolved, then they filed a police report against me, then the police pursued it, then the prosecutor pursued it, summary, I had to hire an attorney to fight it off, had to make numerous court appearances, and all because I "raised my voice in complaint" of piss-poor customer service. This whole thing should have been carried out to it's logical and righteous conclusion...but I was stressed and feed-up with the process.

So yes, I have learned how to deal with stress and bad moods over the last 6 months, learned that my family is the most important thing in my entire life, and that at any expense I will fight to at very least to exonerate my family name (which I did at considerable expense) in order to answer to my family in an upright and worthy manor.

Sex is good for stress. But determination, perseverance for righteous sake is so underrated these days.

It's over. The battle is over!!

I did it. I won!!

Because I still have what I claim to be most valuable to me!! MY FAMILY!!!

A very good question Kenne.

In years past my first thought always was to have a cigarette. I don't do that any more. So, I'm left to wonder what my new mode of dealing should be. Last week at work I was so angry over a cigarette inducing something or other I ended up in tears, and had to get up from my desk & walk away.

Other than that I do tend to find an individual to vent/whine to (I'm very good at that).

Seems I need a new stress-reducer too. ;)

Same here, I used to smoke heavily, but quit around 6 months ago. I replaced my nicotine fits with eating chocolate or candy, every time I got a craving. Now instead of worrying about emphysema or lung cancer, I just got a cholesterol problem.

I was a truck driver on the So Cal freeways for 15 years. I used to yell at the car that just made a stupid move. No one could hear me because of the engine noise. But when you're carrying 80,000 pounds you Have to leave enough room in front of you to stop. So you accept everybody cutting in front of your truck to change lanes.

You become a good judge of what the cars around you will do.

Lucky thinks I'm crazy because I still predict what the cars around will do and I still occasionally yell at them. But, it helps relieve stress on the freeways.

DH drove log trucks until he was hurt and still does the same thing. He always seems to know what the car in front of him is going to do :D

As far as stress relief, I also put on my mp3 player and listen to books. I listen to a lot of books. It's kinda like Calgon for me :D

Last week at work I was so angry over a cigarette inducing something or other

I can't really figure this out... a "cigarette inducing something or other"? Are you saying that you smelled a cigarette and it brought out some repressed feelings? :crazy:

Andy and I were talking about this on one of our hikes, and we both agreed that as we get old(er) we are a whole lot slower to fire up about trivial stuff. We are much more able to let things go... pick our battles, I guess, is the lesson, one which until a few years ago I was never able to totally embrace.

A friend of mine (who is currently studying for her doctorate) was given an assignment in one of her classes to log all times during a given day she would get angry and think negative thoughts. She was to note what caused it, how long it lasted, etc. She discovered that 95% of her anger and negative thoughts came while she was on the road, because she was always getting mad at one driver or another.

It was an eye-opener for her. And me. I am so conscious now of doing that, and I do my best to think something positive hard on the heels of the negative thing. It's really had a positive impact on my life. You just don't realize what a downer it is to have negative/angry thoughts coursing through your skull until you consciously decide to stop it. :shades:

Honestly, I think swearing works best :P It doesn't even have to make sense, or be offensive or anything like that... but I find that if I'm too stressed or ticked off about about something, doing quiet things like listening to music or reading a book don't really take the edge off.

Apart from that, complaining to someone else works, doing something else, eating something, going for a walk, music...

I can't really figure this out... a "cigarette inducing something or other"? Are you saying that you smelled a cigarette and it brought out some repressed feelings? :crazy:

No no, not at all. I meant a very stressful situation that in the past I would have dealt with by walking out the door, away from it all and lighting up. For a smoker that is the only stress reducer. Since I'm not smoking I really haven't found a good replacement yet. Almost the only things I stress over are work related these days (! :) ) and some sort of "icing on the cake" happened that day, that I didn't really know how to deal without smoking. I walked away almost in tears, more from frustration than anything else. That was my worst "wish I had a cigarette moment" so far. :P

Swearing is always good, but not always appropriate, and it takes the fun out of it if it's silent. ;)

Lucky thinks I'm crazy because I still predict what the cars around will do

That isn't why I think you're crazy. :rolleyes::D

ahhhh... I get it.

So this is the part where I say,

HOT DAMN, LUCKY!!! You go girl! I am so proud of you. You are fast becoming my new hero... there are two other people in my life that I wish could be as strong as you're being and take a leave of absence from the smokes. :puppyeyes:

:bow: