Bands, musicians with cult followings

Jillianne

But you mentioned really really popular acts. I thought by "cult", you meant something like fringe music fans or something that grew big outside of the media. For example, The Grateful Dead I'd consider to have a HUGE cult following despite the fact they didn't land any top 10 hits in their whole career (I think they had one, actually). I dunno if naming obscure bands will do, though, because very few casual music fans will know, so lemme give it another shot:

- Morrissey has a cult following here in SoCal with the Hispanic population.

- Depeche Mode is very popular among Gothic kiddies. It seems only natural :beatnik:

I am just trying to find out what acts have huge fan basis in America, we obviously dont hear the same bands americans do, for instance, I find it extremly difficult to find a Tenacious D album over here.

I would still say Tenacious D has a cult following because Jack Black is the most unlikely - yet one of the coolest - Rock stars to grace the airwaves (kinda like the Ron Jeremy of Rock music :: ). You not being able to get one of his albums is like me not being able to get an Aqualung album (I had to get it as an import at twice the regular price). But BritPop... I don't know if it has any following here other than Radiohead (you'll seldom hear Travis, Suede, Placebo, etc. on radio). Anyway, I'm gonna go see The Pixies at the Uni I attend in Sept. I think The Pixies would qualify as having a cult following with the whole Alternative Rock thing since the late 80s :beatnik:

The Grateful Dead I'd consider to have a HUGE cult following despite the fact they didn't land any top 10 hits in their whole career (I think they had one, actually).

The Dead was the first one that popped into my head. And you're right about the single top 10 hit - it was "Touch of Grey" which went to #9.

Also, Phish is another jam band with a cult following.

• 5 years later...

boy,... *cough* *cough* is it dusty in here, or what? :D

^ I agree with the "mainstream success" vs "cult following" distinction

first band that came to my mind are The Grateful Dead, second thing is an article I read recently how "Pearl Jam are the new Dead" (mainly about how the fans of the two bands are so similar)

another one has to be Frank Zappa

PS, welcome to SF, Wanderlei :thumbsup:

I think of a cult following as being those bands with their own special fans that follow the band and not a huge amount of fans outside those ... less than mainstream in other words.

Captain Beefheart has a huge cult following, Jimmy Buffet, The Grateful Dead, and Little Feat all come to mind. I'd think in the punk/new wave/whatever other namegenre areas there would be many. Mr Fitter?