Moving to the UK

Tony Baloni

Yup - but 'officially' as a tourist , not as a worker . So , you simply go , find someone who wants to hire you, and then have them act as your sponsor as you then apply to change your visa status to something that lets you work .

You could likely get hired fairly soon by a small restaurant or hotel - places that have a high staff turnover - without a visa, short-term . They may offer to sponsor you if they want to keep you around , but you probably would have to look for something a little more steady in order to get that . I would think you need to have access to at least between two or three thousand dollars to support yourself for awhile , though .

Edited by Guest

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-----------

United States law permits dual nationality.[26] Consequently, having and using a foreign passport are permissible. When, however, a U.S. citizen uses a passport to leave or enter the United States, he is required to use a U.S. passport.[27] This requirement extends to a U.S. citizen who is a dual national.[28]

[edit]

You can have as many citizenships as you want. You can only use one, officially. I know people who have four citizenships. But depending on what passport you use to leave/enter a country, you could even be forced to ask for a visa to go to one of your own countries. It´s complicated and every country hasits own laws..

Yup - but 'officially' as a tourist , not as a worker . So , you simply go , find someone who wants to hire you, and then have them act as your sponsor as you then apply to change your visa status to something that lets you work .

You could likely get hired fairly soon by a small restaurant or hotel - places that have a high staff turnover - without a visa, short-term . They may offer to sponsor you if they want to keep you around , but you probably would have to look for something a little more steady in order to get that . I would think you need to have access to at least between two or three thousand dollars to support yourself for awhile , though .

This is exactly what I was going to say ... yes you can go and stay awhile but, it's the support thing that comes into play. My kid is going for an extended stay, and has a job lined up with a family friend (she'll be getting paid under the table). But Kevin's right, if you don't go with a nicely padded bank account, and (very important) proper health insurance, expect to be turned away. They don't want to take any chances they'll have to support you over there, and are very strict about it. When my daughter went over a year ago last Christmas, she had neither of those things, and was going to stay with her boyfriends family in Liverpool. She wasn't allowed to leave the airport because she couldn't prove her bank account, current income & health insurance. She arrived on Friday, and they put her on a plane back to the US 24 hours later. :P

Tickets are currently fairly cheap , so I would be sure to buy a round trip ticket now, you don't want to be stuck there with no way home.

But its always raining over here, and the beer is £3 a pint even in the cheap pubs...

Of course, if you really want to come across you could always arrive as a tourist then claim asylum as a persecuted minority... claim you are liable for a slapping if you go back, and see what happens!