Moving to the UK

Tony Baloni

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

German citizenship may be acquired by naturalisation by those with permanent residence who have lived in Germany for 8 years. Additional requirements include an adequate command of the German language and an ability to be self-supporting without recourse to welfare.

article

Well, obviously I don't know any details so I don't mean to belittle whatever you plan to do, but something like this shouldn't be a spur of the moment thing. What if you decide that it wasn't such a good idea after all and you're stuck with a European passport? You won't even be able to go back to the US just like that. You'll be stuck here. I realise that it isn't exactly easy to find work and get a business visa, but at least try living here for a while. You can always become a British citizen through naturalisation then.

...maybe...

Yeah, well, I'm not really going there just to work. It's a whole complicated thing with a girl...

Seriously? Your 19 years old and are willing to give up your US citizenship because of a girl :stars:

Now that's scary :shades:

no i'm not talking about giving up my citizenship, i'm not about to become a permanent resident. i just wanna live there for like a year or so. and who knows, maybe i'll love it and end up wanting to stay forever, or maybe i'll just leave at the end of the year, i just wanna get a visa so i can stay there for a while.

Don't look for citizenship, residency is much better if you can get it.

I don't know if you have the time, but perhaps you could pick up a fairly basic skill or vocation in some sort of tradie role and then apply to work in Europe? Those are the jobs that they always need people for, right?

Otherwirse, get a tourist visa and see what you can do with your 90-day stay. Don't forget to look up visa costs.

Seriously? Your 19 years old and are willing to give up your US citizenship because of a girl :stars:

Now that's scary :shades:

Yes it is... :P

in any case I believe some countries accept a double citizenship... I don´t know for the US and UK but I have two citizenships and could have three if I asked for it.

... but if you did , you might have to turn in all those other passports to get one . I don't know if I'm right about this , though , I've just got a feeling that I am .

-----------

United States law permits dual nationality.[26] Consequently, having and using a foreign passport are permissible. When, however, a U.S. citizen uses a passport to leave or enter the United States, he is required to use a U.S. passport.[27] This requirement extends to a U.S. citizen who is a dual national.[28]

[edit]

:laughing: :blush: No , I'm wrong , but I found some interesting and info here that may be of use to Tony . Seems he doesn't need a visa at all to go to the UK ( or Canada ) and can stay for up to 6 months ! Sweet !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Us_passport

Edited by Guest