Johnny Carson

Mike

23u22b4.jpg

I was just reminiscing about the seventies again, and the most profound influences in my life, the music, the education, the family. And... Johnny Carson!

Of course in the seventies, I was not allowed to stay up past ten on school nights (at least out in the living room where the TV was). But come summer... I was an avid Tonight Show watcher.

Johnny was like a second dad to me. I was really bummed when they shortened the show from 1.5 hours to 1 in 1980.

My favorite part of the show was the monologue, I loved Carnac the magnificent and the visits from Jim Fowler (Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom) and Joan Embery from the San Diego Zoo.

Stump the band. I love that one too. The way he chided Tommy Newsom when he substituted for Doc as band leader.

Share your Tonight Show with Johnny Carson memories.

I liked the one with the old lady who brought in potato chips that she'd collected that she thought looked like famous people. Johnny was picking them up and she was very nervous about him handling them.

Eventually, she turned her head away to listen to another guest and Johnny reached under his desk, pulled out a bag of chips, and bit into one really loudly. Poor lady almost had a heart attack!