Rate the last album you listened to

Farin

This week, I have mostly been listening to The Decemberists - "The Hazards Of Love"

This album has caught me hook, line and sinker.

A work of captivating brilliance.

Sonically, lyrically, it is immaculately crafted, nigh on flawless. It possesses a spirit of musical adventure, unafraid of moving between passages of exquisite beauty, stirring almost anthemic choruses and potentially jarring acidic rock-outs, yet never veers close to the kind wanton "unlistenable experimentalism" which might temnd to alienate the listener.

Its lyrics are amongst the most richly evocative I have encountered, addressing the potentially dangerous ground of the most overdone of cliches - "Love", and the hazards thereof - eloquently, stylishly, and with a convincing, raw, emotional quality, devoid of cliche and schmaltz.

9.75 /10

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

We heard Heathen Child in the car yesterday. What a series of ups and downs. It starts of SO WELL and that lasts about 5 seconds and then it plummets into somethibng DREADFUL and then it desperately tries to redeem itself. It's quite the facial-expression rollercoaster, I'm not sure what to make of it since it's not bad but has the potential to be REALLY good and just ruins it with those first couple of minutes.

• 1 month later...

over the weekend (until now) I listened to the following albums:

281wyhd.jpg

The Fool ~ Warpaint (2010)

experimental, psychadelic with a bit of shoegaze from Los Angeles

it's probably going to end up in my album Top Ten for this year... 9/10

2h3zq7r.jpg

Once Around ~ The Autumn Defense (2010)

nice, mellow indie pop... if you like Wilco check them out!

apart from that, nothing special really... 6.5/10

akwjsz.jpg

Inside the Human Body ~ Ezra Furman & The Harpoons (2008)

Dylan-esque indie folk/rock with clever lyrics

while no other song really measures up to "Take Off Your Sunglasses", it's still quite a cool album - and maybe I'll even change my opinion after a couple more listens ;) 8.5/10

6yibf4.jpg

Margins ~ Paul Smith (2010)

The solo effort by the lead singer of Maxïmo Park.

overall it's similar verdict as for The Autumn Defense: "nice, but..." 6.5/10

• 2 weeks later...

ExileOnMainStreetCover.jpg

Exile on Main st. ~ The Rolling Stones

I haven't listened too much too this album. You gotta pay attention when you listen to these songs. At first they seem a bit mediocre, no real awesomeness. Now now, after about a dozen listens I can see why this is considered such a great album. Escpecially Ventilator blues and Shine a light are top tracks imo.

Good album, but as I said, it misses some epic songs which I find on most of the Stones albums.

8/10

"Let It Loose"

Makes me cry...

"Torn & Frayed"

My fave from the album...

"Lovin Cup"

...simply amazing.

"Happy"

...always took candy from strangers...

:bow: :bow: :bow:

"Sweet Virginia"

Too much.

"Sweet Black Angel"

...delicious.

"Rocks Off"

:bow: :bow: :bow:

You're lucky, my friend, to discover this album now. It took me one year (I spent 1973 listening to this album over and over) to really LOVE

it.

Now I couldn't live without it...

• 4 months later...

2hxloj8.jpg

The Fall ~ Gorillaz (2010)

This is the album Damon Albarn recorded during Gorillaz' Plastic Beach tour in autumn of last year, allegedly only with his iPad...

and if you take that into account and think of it as something like a demo tape rather than a 'full' album then the less polished and more experimental tone won't bother much - it didn't bother me at least :)

nmeno0.jpg

Nine Types of Light ~ TV on the Radio (2011)

it's hard to follow up to such a great album as 'Dear Science' I guess, and while the songs here aren't *bad* at all, they didn't really grab me after the first listen... the theme also seems to be quite mellow, more going towards love songs and less politically or socially critical.

Still cool music though ;)

11vjkia.jpg

C'mon ~ Low (2011)

not much to say about this one: it's Low - it's bound to be awesome ;)

Cake-Showroom_Of_Compassion.jpg

Cake - Showroom Of Compassion (2011)

After waiting over six long years, Cake finally releases a sixth studio album.

The band's sound is slightly different in some ways this time around, but like their previous albums, it is still your typical Cake:

John McCrea with his deadpan, half-spoken, half-sung lyrics and all his lyrical wit.

Vince DiFiore adding his colorful trumpet parts.

The slight funk carrying the songs is still there, too. :thumbsup:

Some of the better songs are:

> "Federal Funding"

> "Got To Move"

> "Sick Of You"

> "Bound Away"

All in all, it's a good album.

If you've been craving for a fresh piece of Cake for the past six years, buy this album. :thumbsup:

281zaev.png

Radio-Activity ~ Kraftwerk (1975)

nice pun on the title, as it's both about radioactivity and activity on the radio ;)

musically it's not one of their more immediately accessible records compared to, say, Trans-Europe Express or The Man-Machine, so if you haven't heard any Kraftwerk records yet I wouldn't start with this one (... unless you know you'll like a bit of experimental electronic music, but who does and have not heard Kraftwerk yet? ;) )

8/10

67myyh.jpg

Helplessness Blues ~ Fleet Foxes (2011)

at least equal to their debut, I like it :) 9/10

v7uzap.jpg

Volta ~ Björk (2007)

very interesting (not an unusual label in her case, I know), besides the usual Björk-ness this album includes styles from hip-hop to electro-clash

7/10

281zaev.png

Radio-Activity ~ Kraftwerk (1975)

nice pun on the title, as it's both about radioactivity and activity on the radio ;)

musically it's not one of their more immediately accessible records compared to, say, Trans-Europe Express or The Man-Machine, so if you haven't heard any Kraftwerk records yet I wouldn't start with this one (... unless you know you'll like a bit of experimental electronic music, but who does and have not heard Kraftwerk yet? ;) )

8/10

I can confirm that this album is at least worth an 8/10, probably even more after a few listens.

While I'm here: maybe it's a good idea if we added our own scores to other's reviews. Because more votes = better average :)

• 5 weeks later...

dangermouseromealbumart.jpg

Rome ~ Danger Mouse & Daniele Luppi (2011)

very nice, high quality production (as would be expected by Danger Mouse)

If you're fond of Spaghetti Western Soundtracks make sure to give this one a shot.

Features Jack White and Norah Jones on vocals of some tracks.

9/10

2i87y95.jpg

Running from a Gamble ~ Company of Thieves

didn't really grab me... in fact I listened to it earlier this weekend and by now I can barely remember what it sounded like :crazy:

6/10

29ft7wk.jpg

Let Love In ~ Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (1994)

I listened to it again, because Spinner had a couple of reissues this week. (is it available in the US too?)

ah well, I don't think I have to say much about the quality of it, do I? ;)

9/10

and finally I listened to the compilation

j0abmr.jpg

Die Interessanten, Singles 1992 - 2004 ~ Die Sterne

probably not something for most of you, but if you're not afraid of German music (I'm not) and like relatively unknown* bands that make intelligent indie music with a groovy, jazzy beat then check them out ;)

10 / 10

* not for German music enthusiasts of course

Edited by Guest
one cover didn't display

23kekqt.jpg

GOB ~ DELS (2011)

The debut from the London-based MC, some tracks were produced by Joe Goddard of Hot Chip fame (which really shows)

all in all it didn't leave me breathless, but I didn't mind it ;)

7/10

2d6wmfd.jpg

Gloss Drop ~ Battles (2011)

Since their singer left the band last year, most songs are instrumentals, with the exception of some guest vocalists (among others Gary Numan)

But apart from that their sound is still as awesome as in "Mirrored", could maybe be a candidate for my personal album of the year list ;)

9/10

2qweudf.jpg

Strategies Against Architecture IV ~ Einstürzende Neubauten (2010)

The fourth compilation of this kind chronicles their music of the 00s.

If you like industrial music (or 'experimental rock' or 'avant-garde' or whatever you want to call the genre...), and you haven't listened to them already, you definitely should check them out

...maybe not necessarily this album, just in general, you know? ;)

I was a bit surprised that it doesn't include "Nagorny Karabach", but that might just be a personal preference.

8.5/10

Edited by Guest
included youtube link

• 2 weeks later...

bassnectartimestretch.jpg

7/10

I have to admit this was a guilty pleasure and I really enjoyed it! I hate that spotify greys out songs after 5 listens because I could have this on repeat all day. It's not too heavy for drum 'n bass, it's more creative than the usual Whapp whapp and had some really slow bits that lead to awesome ear blasting climaxes.

Someone referred to it as sexy dubstep. I have to agree.

Timestretch.

Basshead.

trentemoller.jpg

10/10

This could play all day every day and it wouldn't be enough. It feels like being swallowed by a tsunami of sound and your ears flooding with notes and chords. The haunting and moody melodies pushed this one up to a 10 for me.

Even though you're with another girl.

Sycamore feeling.

recordcollection.jpg

8.5/10

This has been on repeat all week. It's infectious, it has Boy George and there are songs about birds.

Ronson has dropped his usual sound and traded it in for something more mature and thoughtful.

Bike song.

Bang bang.

Somebody to love me feat Boy George.

• 5 weeks later...

4se3w3.jpg

DMD KIU LIDT ~ Ja, Panik

Indie rock from Austria/Germany, with a mixture of German and English lyrics with their 4th (I think?) album which was unanimously praised by the critics.

The strange title stands for "Die Manifestation des Kapitalismus in unserem Leben ist die Traurigkeit" (The manifestation of capitalism in our life is the sadness), as can be heard in the eponymous 20 min(!) long final track.

if you want to, you can listen to the whole album on demand on Last.fm (not really convenient to click all songs one by one, I know - but if you have neither Spotify nor Simfy or anything...)

not really something for an everyday listening, but still 9/10