• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three Fact Fader - Engineers

Their last.fm bio currently reads:

"Engineers are like any other band"

This is because 2 months ago it read:

"Engineers are not like any other band"

which a friend and I read out loud and our subsequent HAHAHAHAHAHAs were obviously loud enough to reach and sting the ears the people who wrote that bio. Said ears then turned a shade of bright red as they realised how stupid that lne sounded and hastily deleted the offending word - 'not'.

Engineers sound like EVERY OTHER SHOEGAZE BAND to have EVER existed EVER

which means this album is really good and everyone should listen to it yadda yadda yadda 8/10 that would be 9/10 if they'd just not been kidding themselves earlier.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm listening to a bunch of scattered tracks off assorted Weird Tapes, Memory Tapes, Memory Cassette EPs - I like them. Bicycle is a really good single, but I'm disappointed in how generic Weird Tapes sound compared to Memory Tapes, so they bring the overall score down a notch to about 6.75-7. Memory Tapes on their own are worth an 8.5

On further research I would like to change this to a 9-10 all around.

• 2 weeks later...

Cosmic Egg- Wolfmother

9/10

I still love their debut better but this one was definitely good. A lot heavier though, leaning more towards the Sabbath sound. I got the deluxe version with a few extra songs and it was definitely worth it.

Highlights: New Moon Rising, California Queen, White Feather, Far Away, Back Round, Caroline

• 2 weeks later...

I listened to Two Dancers by Wild Beasts again a couple of days ago. I think I needed to give it another listen in order to appreciate how good it is. Very enjoyable, very theatrical and melancholy - I give it 9/10 and throw it into the #2 of the year ring with A Place To Bury Strangers - they can both fight it out.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

MGMT- Congratulations:

9/10. Starts off slow but ends magical. Warning: This is not Oracular Spectacular, but it is definitely a great album. Phenomenal musicianship, great stuff. My recommendation, listen to the whole album in order, it works best.

Jeff Beck- Emotion & Commotion

10/10. Absolutely beautiful guitar work. Eight out of the ten tracks sound like if Howard Shore wrote orchestration and Jeff Beck played guitar over it. The other two are great rock songs featuring Joss Stone. Includes covers of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" and "I Put A Spell On You". If you like music, get this album NOW. It is easily one of the best albums I have ever listened to. And I don't say that lightly.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

29oiumq.png

A New Morning, Changing Weather ~ The (International) Noise Conspiracy (2001)

I only knew some singles by this band, so I didn't really know what to expect from this album, apart from the fact that they're not really subtle in their political viewpoint (leading single: Capitalism Stole My Virginity) ;)

But I was pleasantly surprised by the musical side of it, I certainly didn't expect any brass sections, eg. And the fact that every other track ends with an instrumental jam is a nice touch too

8/10