Rate the last album you listened to

Farin

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Viva! La Woman ~ Cibo Matto (8/10)

Cibo Matto - in case you don't know them - were a New York band formed by two Japanese women. (one of them, Miho Hatori, might be known as the vocalist of Gorillaz' 'Noodle' in their first album)

"Cibo Matto" is Italian for "crazy food" and strangely most songs do have something to do with food (just look at the tracklist )

anyway, musically it's a very nice mix of trip-hop, experimental rock, a bit hip-hop, a bit electronic and I-don't-know-what-else

recommended! 8/10 :thumbsup:

Beastie Boys - "Ill Communication"

One of those rare, rare things; a pretty much flawless album. The Beasties do their thing as only they can, with flair, commitment, wit and (musical) intelligence. The "hip-hop" tag does this album scant justice; even less so with the addition of the "rock-crossover" cliche. This is a veritable pot-pourri, incorporating The Beasties impeccable and disparate influences, from dub maestro Lee "Scratch" Perry to Bad Brains-style hardcore via Hendrix and jazz-funk.

10/10

On the bike-ride home tonight I put an old favorite on I haven't listened to in over a year. Bob Seger's "Live Bullet". I suspect the album is a regional favorite and to paraphrase a commercial "those who like it, like it a lot. From the opening introduction "Whoa! You are here because you want the real thang.." (Danny Carlysle, from the now defunct WWWW-FM) to the last notes of "Let It Rock" there isn't a bad song on the album. Everyone knows someone who was at the September 4th/5th show(s) back in '75. Seger really is a local boy who did very well for himself and made those from this area proud to be from this area. Not an easy feat. This area is Detroit. It's ugly, it smells funny, and people aren't quick with compliments about it. But in the album's opening song, he says "As I told everybody last night, I was readin' in Rolling Stone where, they say that Detroit audiences are the greatest Rock 'n Roll audiences in the world.. I thought to myself, shi*, I've known that for ten years..." Instantly welding himself to his audience like the members of his audience welded door hinges to body frames on the cars we built here. He was/is one of us. We are him.

Even today, songs like Beautiful Loser, Jody Girl and Travelin' Man still sound fresh and vital. The tight groove of "Heavy Music" (complete with it's sly remarks about the massage parlors at John R. and Brush streets) set a high watermark for live albums.

I always have given this record high marks. And the 8-track. And the cassette. And the CD. I've owned them all and will continue purchase it on whatever form is to come.

Come spend some time in Detroit...

Nutbush City Limits

Travelin' Man / Beautiful Loser

Jody Girl

I've been Working

Turn The Page

U.M.C.

Bo Diddley

Ramblin' Gamblin' Man

Heavy Music (Don'tcha ever feel like goin' insane, when the drummer begin to pound?)

K-k-k-k-Katmandu

Lookin' Back

Get Out Of Denver

Let It Rock

"I'm Bob Seger and I'm from Ann Arbor, Michigan"

10/10.

Born in the UK ~ Badly Drawn Boy (2006)

while his previous album "The Hour of Bewilderbeast" is slowly turning into an all-time favourite of mine, this one doesn't really grab me... can't really say why :P

6.5/10

maybe I'll rate it higher after some more listens...

On the bike-ride home tonight I put an old favorite on I haven't listened to in over a year. Bob Seger's "Live Bullet".

Funny, some days ago I had the need to listen to this double live album... I rarely listen to it lately... so I took my old vinyl and enjoyed it for a long time. You´re right, Ken, it´s a piece of magic... every song has its charm... I head "Turn The Page" twice... :cool:

The album is still in very good shape, I bought it back in 1977 or so. It s a must...

Kid A ~ Radiohead

Probably one of their most dreamy albums. Definitely the band's most electronic album, which probably makes it so dreamy. Only a few songs have the traditional guitars+drums sounds. However, the beaty of this album doesn't consist of instrumental virtuoso, it's build out of small details, carefully chosen back ground noises and Thom Yorke's unique, falsetto-driven voice.

--> 9/10

Tonight: Franz Ferdinand (2009)

8.5/10

Good album by this band, with the same continuance of sound. I don't like it as much as their previous two albums, but it's worth listening to. This album has the potential to be one of this year's best albums in the rock genre.

• 2 weeks later...

Last album I listened to was The Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd.

It's one of the few albums I own by artist in any era, that I can listen to from start to finish and not feel like any one song is redundant or out of place. It's actually the perfect album. -10/10

Demonstration EP by Autolux.

A sort of sampler for Future Perfect. They're one of the bands that I wish had more stuff, because they're so good. I love Turnstile Blues, I love the drums that mash your brain and tell you to shake the stars down and shake the stars out. I love Autolux I'm glad they exist :headphones:

that's true, I have no idea what albums I reviewed so far, there could be multiple reviews :P

Battle for the Sun - Placebo

As you can expect from experienced rockband Placebo, their newest album isn't bad. In fact, at a first listen it sounds great. Driven by powerchords and the tones of Brian Molko's distinctive voice, they create a modern rock sound that's easy to pick up and sing along.

9/10!

Hombre Lobo - Eels

12 songs of desire...

The title of Eels' seventh studio album, Hombre Lobo means "werewolf" in Spanish. It's a concept album about desire, as the subtitle indicates.

E takes you on a journey along typical Eels songs: laid-back and dreamy and along some more up-tempo songs. It all fits into a mixture of raw guitar chords, distortions here and there, fingerpicking and electronic notes and hooks as a finishing touch.

Recommended listening on quiet evenings and rainy days. 8/10