Movie Recommendations

MindCrime

• 1 year later...

A good movie, a movie that is a faithful adaptation of the book, or just any movie?

I think Adrian Lyne's version of Lolita was a really good adaptation of the book, even better than Stanley Kubrick's movie, which included a screenplay by the novelist, Vladimir Nabokov, and the presence of Peter Sellers as one of the villains, "Quilty." However, I always thought James Mason was miscast as Humbert Humbert - he's physique is stocky. I always imagined this bad guy to look tall and handsome, someone convincingly refined and attractive... and Jeremy Irons fit that role. The Kubrick version also faced a lot of heat from censors back then, so "Dolores Haze" had to be someone that was much older than the titular character. Again, the casting of Dominique Swain in the new film version really added to the faithfulness of the main theme. The music score by Ennio Morricone was also better. The cinematography looked pretty good with some lighting being soft-focused, adding a roanish-brown tint in some parts, as if one were looking at photographs in an old album.

d3cab381fbb5_107677649790.jpg

Mr. Lyne is not one to stay away from controversy: he also directed Fatal Attraction :beatnik:

Christian Marquand directed Candy, a movie based on Terry Southern's update on Voltaire's Candide, which poked fun of religious and societal hypocrisy (definitely check out Voltaire's book). The movie had an all-star cast that included Richard Burton, Marlon Brando, Ringo Starr, and Playboy Playmate, Ewa Aulin, but it was an incomprehensible psychedelic mess and should only be viewed for its kitsch and cult status. I also recommend it for any single/bachelor out there for its excessive use of the protagonist's talents :googly:

B000059POY.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Easy. Fritz Lang (Metropolis, Clash By Night)'s M. If I remember correctly, it was Lang's first "talkie," yet the editing, filmography, and acting (mainly Peter Lorre) all still harken back to the recent silent work. Lorre himself made most of it on physical acting, he does talk and yell, but the most memorable parts are where he bugs his eyes and raises his arms and then brings his hands back to his face. The sound itself is creeeepy because it was done early on and Lang chose to mute out most of what was going on, except for a few key things, and one of them was the killer's whistling of Grieg's "The Hall Of The Mountain King."

The ads for the film re-release were done in a mix of what seemed like German Expressionism and Russian Constructivism of the 20s. Some people really live their art :beatnik:

m01.jpg

Ooh ooh, some of my favorite films! I don't know much about the artsy/fartsy stuff, but I know what I like.

Double Indemnity

The Philadelphia Story

The Grapes of Wrath

All About Eve

Mildred Pierce

Dark Victory

Yankee Doodle Dandy

The Killers

How Green Was my Valley

Mrs Miniver

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

The Postman Always Rings Twice

Come Back Little Sheba

The Yearling

Tons more obviously ... but these are some of the ones that I've re-watched recently and happened spring to mind. We often have similar taste kiddo, so you might like 'em.

National Velvet

The Yearling

All Abbott & Costello films

The Bowery Boys films (very bad ... but funny)

I won't stop now. :P

Edited by Guest

The Yearling must be good ; it made your list twice :D

Double Indemnity - On my list

The Philadelphia Story - seen :thumbsup:

The Grapes of Wrath

All About Eve - seen :thumbsup:

Mildred Pierce - On my list

Dark Victory - On my list

Yankee Doodle Dandy

The Killers

How Green Was my Valley

Mrs Miniver - On my list

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

The Postman Always Rings Twice

Come Back Little Sheba

The Yearling

Tons more obviously ... but these are some of the ones that I've re-watched recently and happened spring to mind. We often have similar taste kiddo, so you might like 'em.

National Velvet

The Yearling

All Abbott & Costello films

The Bowery Boys films (very bad ... but funny)

I won't stop now. :P

This week I watched The Apartment, The Haunting, The Heiress, and last week Sunset Boulevard. Today I picked up Now Voyager and Leave Her to Heaven.

Thanks for mentioning The Postman Always Rings Twice. I'll add that to my list :D

Easy. Fritz Lang (Metropolis, Clash By Night)'s M. If I remember correctly, it was Lang's first "talkie," yet the editing, filmography, and acting (mainly Peter Lorre) all still harken back to the recent silent work. Lorre himself made most of it on physical acting, he does talk and yell, but the most memorable parts are where he bugs his eyes and raises his arms and then brings his hands back to his face. The sound itself is creeeepy because it was done early on and Lang chose to mute out most of what was going on, except for a few key things, and one of them was the killer's whistling of Grieg's "The Hall Of The Mountain King."

The ads for the film re-release were done in a mix of what seemed like German Expressionism and Russian Constructivism of the 20s. Some people really live their art :beatnik:

m01.jpg

awesome film :thumbsup:

and absolutely spot-on about the sound, this partly silence is pretty unusual for today's ears, eg it lacks any form of film music (apart from the whistling) but it doesn't take away from the quality at all :)

btw, "M" is in public domain and can either be viewed in full length on youtube:

or downloaded here for free:

http://www.archive.org/details/M_

yeah, I know, it's not my favourite film either, but the Spanish Original (with Penelope Cruz) is much better, and I thought it wouldn't make much sense to list it without the better known American film ;)

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

great one too :thumbsup:

Anybody know any good "mess with your head" type movies?

In addition to those mentioned:

Moon

12 Monkeys

Seven

The Wicker Man (Original, not the hilariously bad Nic Cage version)

The Man From Earth (The whole movie is a conversation, so not for the easily bored.)

District 9

I'm Not There (Very unconventional Bob Dylan biopic)

The Dead Zone

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Vertigo

2001: A Space Odyssey

Psycho

Apocalypse Now

Barton Fink

A Clockwork Orange

The Prestige

Perhaps I should have mentioned I have seen the following of the suggested:

Being John Malkovich

The Shining

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

12 Monkeys (I LOVE Brad Pitt in this movie)

Seven

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

2001: A Space Odyssey

Psycho

Barton Fink

A Clockwork Orange

The Prestige

Pulp Fiction

Some of my favorite directors are the Coen Brothers, Stanley Kubrick, and Terry Gilliam, so it can be assumed I've seen just about all of their movies. But thanks for the suggestions!

Anybody know any good "mess with your head" type movies? Akin to Donnie Darko, Inception, Memento etc.

You might want to see Primer.

primer_dvd.jpg

"What happens if it actually works?"

After watching it, my question would be, "What happens if you actually understood it?" Hahaha. Weird, little Indie film about an invention with some offbeat repercussions. The duration time is only about 80 minutes and it makes perfect sense half-way through. It's only midway that things start to get distorted and viewers wonder who is who, and why things are happening the way they are. Shoot, I think there's even some plot holes in there, but I can't verify whether they're boner fide plot holes, or if it's just me hatin' on a frustrating movie. I cannot recall the music; I think they might've used a generic score. The editing and photography aren't stuff to rave about. I'm sure it could be done better, but in this instance, I don't really care for a better version. This one is strictly about the idea.

Addendum: You might wanna consult the various diagrams posted on-line AFTER you watch the movie :beatnik:

• 3 months later...