What are you doing right now ? *Our own Twitter *

Kevin

Trying to plan a brief holiday (5 days again ) in and around Sydney , Aus . What to do , what to do ?!?! Likely won't go again , but Sydney strikes me as being as interesting as going to Vancouver ,Can. -similar in many ways . :P

• Replies 909
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wife has a yearly surgeons conference in different venues , and this year is Sydney . No offense to Sydney nor Aussies , but it is/was fairly low on my list of places to see ( as I said , strikes me as kind of Vancouver south ) . Past conferences were in what , to me , were more interesting places : Boston , Istanbul , Barcelona , Crete , Zurich, Prague . As we only have 5 days too , a place as large as Australia is difficult to really get to see in that time .

Really? Why? :confused:

I understand Kevin, though if it's any reassurance, Sydney's a better place to visit than Melbourne which needs you to stay for a while to really 'get' it. For all I know that might be the case for Sydney as well but with such obvious landmarks as the Opera House and Darling Harbour, I think it's a better tourist spot.

Right now I'm busy being astounded that Australia is so low on Kevin's list, when it's in my Top 5 places to visit.

On the contrary , Shawna .Access to the country as a whole , would be interesting indeed . But time restraints ( and the conference ) tend to ensure that we will have to hangout in the city a lot of the time . Also , it is the first week of Sept . ( early Spring ) with an average high of 19 C/ ~68 F , so not quite a beach paradise either .

Anyway , just gotta keep searching . I'll come up with something . But just don't want to hang in the big city too much . One metropolis is like any other , in my book , unless it has obvious historical or cultural 'must -sees ' like London , or Paris , etc . and nothing like that jumps out at me as far as thinking about Sydney. The Opera House and Bridge are fine to look at , but I don't care much to go in or on. I guess I always pictured a trip to Australia as one where I'd mainly tour the countryside ...

On the contrary , Shawna .Access to the country as a whole , would be interesting indeed . But time restraints ( and the conference ) tend to ensure that we will have to hangout in the city a lot of the time . Also , it is the first week of Sept . ( early Spring ) with an average high of 19 C/ ~68 F , so not quite a beach paradise either .

THEN STAY THE HELL HOME!!

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester:

That's the point. I want to see a desert for the same reason.

no problem, Fin. come on out. We've got nothing BUT desert out here. Miles and miles and miles and miles and miles of it. And it's promising to be 114 this weekend. Oooo boy.

THEN STAY THE HELL HOME!!

:laughing: Believe me ,Sammy , when I first heard about it , I suggested the very same . However ,I guess she had already submitted a paper and it had been accepted , so it would be bad form not to go now .

I've found a couple of things to do though : day trips to both the Blue Mountains ( where those big fires were) and the Hunter Valley ( the wine country ) . Only a couple of hours away.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester:

I agree... if you want to see Australia (and I've always wanted to), you need to see the countryside. Cities are mostly boring anyway, no matter where :P

I agree completely , Fin . Were I to go to the UK , being stuck in only London would suck . Certainly there is lots to see , but I wouldn't have a true sense of the country ,I think , if I only stayed there . Tokyo is the same : come here only and you leave knowing little or nothing of Japan - you may be better off watching a documentary on TV .