What are you doing right now ? *Our own Twitter *

Kevin

• Replies 909
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wha...? Now hang on - Cologne is Kohn or something, ja? Munich is... Munchen? I only know Rome as Roma. And Copenhagen? I learned Danish peeps are not happy if you call it Copenhahgen and prefer Copenhaygen, but that's where my knowledge ends :crazy:

So ... Hollandaise sauce is really Dutch sauce? ;)

So, my grandfather used to talk about "high Dutch" and "low Dutch". I know that one of them he meant to be German, because some of our family comes from Germany. I don't know whether we were the high or the low in his mind though. Are those terms you've heard, and which would be what?

We Englich speakers apparently think we rule, when it's very obvious we don't. :P;)

So ... Hollandaise sauce is really Dutch sauce? ;)

yes, exactly :)

Holland is actually a part of the Netherlands, and here we use it sometimes as a synonym for the whole country too.

So, my grandfather used to talk about "high Dutch" and "low Dutch". I know that one of them he meant to be German, because some of our family comes from Germany. I don't know whether we were the high or the low in his mind though. Are those terms you've heard, and which would be what?

If he really meant one of them as German than it would be the 'high' language.

Funnily, the German word for 'High German' (the standard German, without any dialects) is 'Hochdeutsch' = 'High Deutsch' question mark?

Dutch is (even) more closely related to the Low German dialects, but maybe there's a 'High' and 'Low' definition within the language as well...

Viaene might know that :)

I've heard high German and low German! High German in the North and Low German in the South. yes? yes? yes? :)

yesandno ;)

Low German are the old local dialects of the North.

But you can use "High German" in two ways: if you mean it in a linguistic historical sense then it would be the southern parts (I think in that case there's even a 'Middle German' in between).

BUT mostly "Hochdeutsch" is used to mean 'Standard German' without any funny dialect expressions and without any accents. And THAT you would indeed find mostly in the Northern part. They say the 'cleanest' German is spoken around Hanover - which is in the north.

The whole dialect thing is getting less and less over the last decades anyway, I bet you'd have to be a native speaker to hear most differences ;)

Trying to write a letter to my boyfriend for his birthday. I wanted to make something and send it over to London, but I was out of ideas. I prefer to make him gifts rather than buying 'em - seems more personal that way.

I don't think I'm doing a very good job with the letter though...feels like I've already said this stuff before :confused: