Last.fm to start charging international users

Levis

You know what sucks? That this is not going to affect any other last.fming SFer, so I am alone in my grumbling.

http://blog.last.fm/2009/03/24/lastfm-radio-announcement

Today we’re announcing an upcoming change to the way Last.fm Radio works in some parts of the world. In the United States, United Kingdom and Germany, nothing will change.

In all other countries, listening to Last.fm Radio will soon require a subscription of €3.00 per month. There will be a 30 track free trial, and we hope this will convince people to subscribe and keep listening to the radio. Everything else on Last.fm (scrobbling, recommendations, charts, biographies, events, videos etc.) will remain free in all countries, like it is now.

So I suddenly feel like I have to do all my tagged radio listening NOW before I can't anymore :/

I'm thinking of uninstalling the scrobbler since all it's going to do is boost my play count and while I can understand their reasons for doing this, I'd rather not support it. Also, it serves no purpose anymore.

As for:

You'd expect them to add Australia to the 'free' countries too

To be honest, I'd rather they didn't. The reason everyone's so pissed off is because it's discrimination. the big 3 that don't have to pay are the richest countries in the world and could probably afford it. One of the people who commented pointed out that 3 euros is not pocket money in Brazil. In India it's 200 rupees. In Colombia it's 9871 pesos. Oz could afford it too, so yeah, it's odd they haven't made it 'free' here. But I'd feel like one of the 'bad guys' if they did.

^ Big baby ! :laughing: Get over it . Who cares ? There will be /are others to fill the niche . If a few bucks are the obstacle then welcome to the real world . I doubt 3 euros will break you if you really like this service.

I really think it ridiculous for people on the net to expect everything to be free . What are you ; utopians ?

Edited by Guest

I really think it ridiculous for people on the net to expect everything to be free . What are you ; utopians ?

they do that because it's been free since it started 5 or 6 years ago.

In general you're right of course, the sites have bills to pay too

There will be /are others to fill the niche.

that's what everybody's saying, but actually the other 'free' alternatives are much more restricted... Pandora can only be used in the US, Spotify only for free in a handful of countries - the other can pay 9.99€ for the 'premium' service.

and even if others would come forward I can assure you, once they get popular enough (last.fm has over 25 million users) they will cease to be free as well.

Also, I don't think the 3€/3$/3£ is too much, the main issue is probably that the business model pays itself through advertising in the US/UK and Germany - which means nothing changes for these users, people percieve that as unfair (I wouldn't call it 'discrimination' though)

Why is it Utopian when it already exists for three countries? Their main gripe is, understandably, that they now HAVE to pay to listen to radio and even as subscribers they don't get the benefits free listeners in the US, UK and Germany do.

Last.fm Radio Announcement (Revisited)

Monday, 30 March 2009

Since our announcement last Tuesday about starting to charge users €3.00 per month for listening to the radio in countries other than the USA, UK and Germany, we’ve received a lot of feedback. It’s not a decision we’ve made lightly, and I want to explain why we came to this conclusion and answer some common questions.

Last.fm Radio has always been ad supported, which means we sell ads on the site to cover the cost of running the service and paying the music licensing fees. If you’ve spent more than 5 minutes on the site you’ll know that the Last.fm community is international to the extreme – we are made up of people from practically every country in the world. Last.fm is a better place for it.

However, we simply can’t be in every country where our radio service is available selling the ads we need to support the service. The Internet is global, and geographic restrictions seem unfair, but it’s a reality we are faced with every day when managing our music licensing partnerships.

We’re listening and we’ve postponed the date on which radio will become a subscription service outside the USA, UK and Germany. In the meantime we’ll be squeezing in some additional improvements based on your requests:

* Gift subscriptions: you’ll be able to buy a subscription for a friend

* Updating developers using our Radio API: third-party apps that stream Last.fm Radio will have full access to the Radio API, so streaming will work provided the user that logs in is a subscriber. (All other APIs remain free/unchanged)

* Investigating alternative payment options. If Paypal sucks in your country, or you don’t have a credit card, don’t despair. Based on feedback so far, we are looking at supporting pay-by-SMS, and possibly some other options. Can’t promise we’ll have support for everyone’s favourite payment system from day one, but we’ll do our best to make it easy for you.

As soon as we’ve completed the upgrades noted above, we’ll move ahead with the transition. Thereafter, radio in the USA, UK and Germany will remain ad-supported, and radio in other countries where it’s not feasible to have an ad-supported service will be moving to a subscription service.

• 4 weeks later...