The Next Original Band?

MuzikTyme

I think electronic music will evolve greatly because it's the easiest to make, many youngsters have a computer, electronic music is a click away. Many practiser, many new music.

*note that I'm not saying new good music, just new original music.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It very well could , Viaene . I'm just saying that you won't be able to ask , in common , if people know it, as they have their own choices and preferences .

It has already begun ; ask people what movies they remember for the last few years , and it is unlikely that the Academy picked them .

Edited by Guest

I agree Kevin, I think that if we keep going the same way we're going, there's never going to be another Beatles, but I think that's probably a good thing. I'm not saying there will never be a band as good as the Beatles (I think there already have been), I just don't think there will be another band that unites such a large portion of the population. But I don't really see why that should upset the common person. In fact I think it should be exciting to people! It creates more opportunities for new kinds of music to spring up if there isn't one all-encompassing band that every musician in a genre looks up to and tries to emulate. I think the only people it should worry are members of the mass-media who are constantly trying to push some new fad on the public. Like this Twitter crap that every adult is convinced all the kids are using and is revolutionizing communication. Who uses Twitter? Nobody!

Well that was kind of off-topic, but anyways, I think that there will be (and have been) plenty of new musical styles created in my lifetime, it's just unlikely that everyone will love one of them enough to change society.

and Muzik, sorry about insulting you so much. If I had known that you know so much about music, I wouldn't have asked you such a silly question as "Do you know what melody is?" because I would have realized that you didn't mean it literally. But you can probably see why I had such a surprised reaction to "modern music has no melody" without knowing the background info about yourself!

My guess is the first sign of getting old is not to understand the new generation of wants or desires.

I guess I'm just getting old.

But, it's inevitable to EVERYONE!

Hey MusikTyme,

I guess you are indeed getting old. Like you I have lived a life in music, but my active involvement came to an end about 10 years ago, and I'm just not keeping up with it all like I used to. But I would never for a moment suggest that current music is essentially lacking. It's obviously different, and it's also obviously the same as it ever was.

As BatMan said, if it really is original, then it's also likely to be difficult and confronting... at first. If it's not original, then we old folks will complain that Led Zeppelin did it better 40 years ago.

I find that I'm settling back into classicist rock, because I'm really not craving originality... instead I want comfort food, stuff that's instantly familiar, while still being new-ish.

But I also try to keep spreading my wings to find stuff that is new to me, even if it's not new to everyone else. So bring on Battles and Animal Collective and Deus and Andrew Bird and Sufjan Stevens. The SF Top Ten nominations are proving quite a revelation to me.

btw, if you crave melody, Bird and Stevens surely won't let you down.

Anyways, there's no disgrace in growing old. THe trick is to do it gracefully.

See ya,

Lee.

Hey MusikTyme,

I guess you are indeed getting old. Like you I have lived a life in music, but my active involvement came to an end about 10 years ago, and I'm just not keeping up with it all like I used to. But I would never for a moment suggest that current music is essentially lacking. It's obviously different, and it's also obviously the same as it ever was.

As BatMan said, if it really is original, then it's also likely to be difficult and confronting... at first. If it's not original, then we old folks will complain that Led Zeppelin did it better 40 years ago.

I find that I'm settling back into classicist rock, because I'm really not craving originality... instead I want comfort food, stuff that's instantly familiar, while still being new-ish.

But I also try to keep spreading my wings to find stuff that is new to me, even if it's not new to everyone else. So bring on Battles and Animal Collective and Deus and Andrew Bird and Sufjan Stevens. The SF Top Ten nominations are proving quite a revelation to me.

btw, if you crave melody, Bird and Stevens surely won't let you down.

Anyways, there's no disgrace in growing old. THe trick is to do it gracefully.

See ya,

Lee.

That was very well written and I do very much appreciate your thoughtful reply, Lee!

I shall certainly consider your great words of advice.

and Muzik, sorry about insulting you so much. If I had known that you know so much about music, I wouldn't have asked you such a silly question as "Do you know what melody is?" because I would have realized that you didn't mean it literally. But you can probably see why I had such a surprised reaction to "modern music has no melody" without knowing the background info about yourself!

I'll try my best to summarize the above quote...

Batman:

You've not a thing to regret! We just simply engaged in a musical conversation previously that was four generations apart! That's all!

The sad part is, and I feel, you and I resolved it in THIS very thread!

But you see, there are people that eat themselves (watching, secretively lurking and gossiping amongst others) away in their own anguish and insecurity to the point that, well, there's no positive outcome from it.

But, Batman, never say you're sorry to me because you've NEVER done ANYTHING wrong!

I just get carried away in intelligent debates so onlookers that don't understand that it's simply non-harmful disagreement will rant and rave as if they're in hell-fire before they even get there!~

But, terribly:

They already are!!!~

He'll remain safe on top of the mountain that he's getting ready to climb.

If he starts to fall off he can always refer to his Batman utility belt and retrieve the Batman grappling hook to save him from impending doom that would surely be awaiting at the end of such a drastic fall.

I was at Mt Bachelor actually, fellow Oregonian!

Muzik, glad everything's cleared up and that the thread is still ripe for good discussion!

As long as we're on the topic of new music, I don't want to make it seem like everything I think is good today is experimental and pushing the envelope. Many of today's musicians receive attention simply for being really good at playing music (which makes sense, yeah?). A few examples I like a lot:

The Dodos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhLRxui7vXU

Sigur Ros

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWiJWLiSKro&feature=related

The Thermals (great pop music with punk lyrics. one of my personal favorites, possibly because we share the same hometown)

The Fleet Foxes

Sufjan Stevens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDRrqcZbdPU

• 3 weeks later...

In response to the original post, I believe many original styles of music have been improvised over the past couple decades but very few have been widespread and acclaimed enough to be considered "revolutionary" and to impact music as a whole. I think music is too fragmented now for that.

There are plenty of modern/contemporary artists across genres that, in my opinion, are making music with quality comparable to the classics. Sadly most of these artists are ignored by the mainstream which is mostly dominated by the bland, pre-fab carbon copies that should not be looked to as representatives of the state of music as a whole.

On the other hand music is subjective and everyone has different tastes that are affected by different things: the styles they prefer, the bands they grew with up or listened to at a certain time in their life, the lyrical themes that speak to them and so on. People like the mass-produced music of today for their own reasons that are no worse then the reasons I like the music I do.

I started out favouring artists like the Beatles, Dylan, Floyd, for their (obvious) quality but I soon discovered modern music with the same excellence. originality, beauty and for lack of a better word, power (especially the 90's golden age of alternative/indie). I now try to maintain an eclectic taste in music regardless of year, genre or nationality.

My thought, as compared with a fourth generation of understanding is; that there are STILL great bands out there making great new music!

It becomes frustrating to me when the only time one can hear such new waves of music is on a weekly "Wet Paint" kinda music show which plays current "unheard" bands.

It's encouraging that, given my own cynicism, music can be proven wrong which essentially is right!

This is my desire... to hear what is fresh and new, always.

Especially when it's good!

;)

I'll give you that. Or if not, then it's at least as good as Top 40 stuff from any other era.

I wouldn't go quite that far. There was a conspicuous period in the 60s when the most popular bands in the world were also, and non-controversially, the best. I don't know that that has ever been repeated, and I don't know if it's likely to happen again, not for such a sustained period anyway.

What do you reckon?

LBB