The Next Original Band?

MuzikTyme

There's been much discussion about the origins of great music and the pioneers which inspired bands that followed.

We could go back to the roots and say humming, whistling, classical or even natives beating rhythmically on makeshift drums.

Blues or early bluegrass/country. Jazz/big band was next. Then the advent of rock-n-roll. Heavy metal soon followed accompanied by punk, new wave, disco, hip-hop and then rap. Next came emo and ska.

(progressive doesn't count because I believe progressive is simply a word for an unpopular but good song/band or underground).

Without further delay, my question is:

Do you think that there will be a revolutionary "new" original style of music that will be unlike anything we've ever heard in our lifetime?

If I had a wish, it would be that because as far as I'm concerned, music of the present has no heart, spirit, melody or soul. It's just hopeless regurgitating repetiveness of music already done years before, just with a slight different tempo and lyrics. We're in a generation of cover songs.

What are some of your thoughts on the way current music is comparable to week-old bread and classic songs of years gone by?

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful comments.

~ Muzik

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow! an interesting ?...the blues will go on and on... as long as people have em...(like now)and everybody does... part of life...well not everybody...in mho country will go more commercial or crossover...rock will either get harder(or heavier) I guess rap or whatever they call it now will (hip-hop) will get nastier...the grateful dead will tour forever :coolio: nah... it'll all work out...but music (recently has lost it's soul)...sad

Do you think that there will be a revolutionary "new" original style of music that will be unlike anything we've ever heard in our lifetime?

If I had a wish, it would be that because as far as I'm concerned, music of the present has no heart, spirit, melody or soul. It's just hopeless regurgitating repetiveness of music already done years before, just with a slight different tempo and lyrics. We're in a generation of cover songs.

Have you tried listening to some of the genre known as post-rock? Some of it may lack the melody you seek, but in post-rock, often, there is plenty to be found in the way of creativity and originality. The musical instrumentation tends to subvert the tradition of vocals being the primary vehicle for spirit and soul. Listen to Godspeed You Black Emperor or Mogwai, see if that floats your boat.

Alternatively, I find Low (suggested albums: "Things We Lost In The Fire", "Secret Name") dense with melody, spirit and soul, despite the apparent minimalism of their chosen form.

Blues or early bluegrass/country. Jazz/big band was next. Then the advent of rock-n-roll. Heavy metal soon followed accompanied by punk, new wave, disco, hip-hop and then rap. Next came emo and ska.

N.B. Ska originates from early 60s Jamaica, when elements from Cuban music and Jazz big-band (crossing the airwaves from the States) fused with the local Jamaican flavour. Ska and big-band Jazz are very closely linked: most of the musicians pioneering early Jamaican ska had learnt their craft playing in 50s jazz bands. Ska subsequently evolved in various directions, including the ultimately more widely-appreciated and recognised form known as reggae.

I baulk at the idea of "ska" being contemporaneous with emo. Emo, in itself, is no more than a variant of "pop-punk", which was a late 70s invention.

What are some of your thoughts on the way current music is comparable to week-old bread and classic songs of years gone by?

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful comments.

Unfortunately I can't thank you for the same :P

I really get annoyed by the older generation when they simultaneously complain about how music of the present just rips off older music, but get frightened when they hear something that's original and refuse to look any further into it.

I know I mention them a lot, but I don't think there's any band (from the past or present) that does what Animal Collective does. I mean, they're influenced by psychedelic music, but of course psychedelic music was influenced by other music as well. They are a band that combines experimentation with accessible pop in a perfect way. I don't think they've created some new genre that's going to stick around forever, but I think they are truly original and worth checking out.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6KPDWNAPBU

I think that one type of music that has almost undeniably continued to evolve positively since its beginning is electronic music. When it started out in the 1940's, it was basically just a bunch of mathemeticians and scientists trying to find a new way to make music. It started off as very abstract stuff that could truly be called experimental music, since the point was not to make good music, instead the point was to experiment with different ways of making music. But as time went on, electronic instruments became more user-friendly and actual musicians started to use them (there's no exact date as to when this started, but two examples people use a lot to describe when this kind of music receieved mainstream attention are "Popcorn" by Hot Butter and "Tommorow Never Knows" by the Beatles). The advancement of electronic music is directly related to the advancement of technology, so electronic music just keeps getting better. I think this is because as time has passed, electronic instruments have become more "playable." The first electronic music was "tape music," which was basically just getting analog tape of music and cutting it up with scissors and re-arranging it. The process was totally random and impossible to perform live. Modern electronic instruments such as synthesizers and electronic drums and samplers can be played live, and now electronic musicians can interract with their audience and other musicians in real time.

B-F brings up a good example of a genre that was invented recently (post rock). Another good one that just popped into my head is experimental hip hop. When hip hop started in the 70's, it was pretty hard to distinguish from the disco and funk of the same time period. It really wasn't until this decade that experimental hip hop sprung up. It's pretty crazy actually. Who would have thought that this genre would someday produce this?

Thanks for your input, Batman. I'm currently checking out the links you provided.

Oh, BTW, I don't get "frightened" by the possibility of new sounds concerning music. That's what this thread is all about. I welcome all suggestions.

I didn't conjure up the user name "music time" if I wasn't open to any kind of music, especially new!

:)

(progressive doesn't count because I believe progressive is simply a word for an unpopular but good song/band or underground).

By the way, this is a very innaccurate statement. "Progressive" means moving forward to something better (which is ironic because what people called "progressive rock" in the 70's was made by musicians who would rather go back to classical sounds rather than forward to new sounds). So "progressive" music is music in any genre that attempts to move music forward into new sonic territory.

Thanks for your input, Batman. I'm currently checking out the links you provided.

Oh, BTW, I don't get "frightened" by the possibility of new sounds concerning music. That's what this thread is all about. I welcome all suggestions.

I didn't conjure up the user name "music time" if I wasn't open to any kind of music, especially new!

:)

Well thanks for being open-minded then. I think even if you don't enjoy the links I've provided, it's hard to say that the musicians are being derivative of the past.

I just read your original post again, and I'm sorry to insultingly over-analyze it like this but...

as far as I'm concerned, music of the present has no heart, spirit, melody or soul.

I urge you take this sentence apart and reflect on how ridiculous it is. Music of the present has no melody? Do you know what melody is? I apologize for being so aggressive about this but I hear these kinds of statements all the time, and as far as music discussion goes, nothing bothers me more.

Do you know what melody is?

Batman,

I very much appreciate your enthusiasm but yes, I DO know what melody is.

I was (and still am) a music major (four years of college), play well over twenty different instruments and have performed in eleven different bands successfully with high regard.

Also, I have been all around the world following bands I've deemed worthy to see; most likely (for sure) before you were even born. I didn't research extensively and study music for the last fourty years for the likes of your feeble taunts.

But, since you know it all, I'll just let you rant and rave.

You're pretty good at it, but, it's not something I'd be proud of, though.

I love music and I'll be damned if I'll allow someone to say different.

Oh, you or no one else has answered my question to this thread yet . . .

It must be cell phones or road rage.

;)

You have to admit, it's kinda frustrating when you ask a question and all you get is negativity plus not get an intelligent answer.

Oh well, such is life . . .

Thanks, everyone, that has looked upon this thread.

I'll appreciate ANY further replies.

It wasn't a serious question, it was just a surprised reaction to what I assumed was a thoughtless statement. Was it a thoughtless statement, or do you actually hold the opinion that modern music does not have melody?

My answer to your question, if it wasn't clear: Yes. Post-rock and abstract hip hop are two good examples of original styles of music that have been pretty much completely created in the past 20 years, and if electronic music keeps evolving at the rate it is, I'm sure there will be at least one completely original genre made from it in the next decade.

By the way, I don't mean to say that you don't love music, I just think you have a very warped perception of modern music (as many people from past generations do...it's sort of inevitable). I just think that if you love music so much you deserve to know that tons of people still make it well and have a passion for it, and that people still experiment with new sounds.

And if you want a more intelligent answer, I think you should try to keep the ignorant remarks (such as the few sentences that immediately follow your bolded question) to a minimum.

ignorant remarks

Okay, Batman, that was a personal attack towards me, a moderator at Songfacts that tries to get along with the community at hand.

This is officially your first warning.

I'm open minded and adhere to what is appropriate to the sanctity of what I deem beneficial to the ongoing continuum and well being of these forum boards.

What are you trying to do? Whatever it may be I firmly suggest you end it.

Alright forget those two words and respond to the rest of the post, please. If you say my calling your remarks "ignorant" is a personal attack, I say your calling my answer unintelligent is a personal attack as well. Oh, and you calling me a "senseless young punk" could maybe be taken as a personal attack as well.

What are you trying to do? Whatever it may be I firmly suggest you end it.

What I'm trying to do is

a) answer your question

B) respond to attacks on the music I love

c) explain what I think is warped about your perception of modern music

Which reminds me, I hate all this talk about "modern music" and "music of the past" as if these are meaningful terms. It's so obvious that it's become cliche, but you can't just say modern music is soulless, because the music of the past is soulless as well. And of course there is plenty of modern music with soul and plenty of old music with soul too. It's just not very open-minded to put a time period of music in a box like that.

Well I was angry earlier, but now I'm just confused. What do you mean by "true melodies?" Do you mean "good melodies?" Because I suppose that's just an opinion and as strange an opinion I think it is, it's still an opinion and it doesn't make any sense for me to try and change it.

But if by "true melody" you literally mean a melody, then that's not a matter of opinion, and it's just objectively wrong.

It wasn't a serious question, it was just a surprised reaction to what I assumed was a thoughtless statement. Was it a thoughtless statement, or do you actually hold the opinion that modern music does not have melody?

My answer to your question, if it wasn't clear: Yes. Post-rock and abstract hip hop are two good examples of original styles of music that have been pretty much completely created in the past 20 years, and if electronic music keeps evolving at the rate it is, I'm sure there will be at least one completely original genre made from it in the next decade.

By the way, I don't mean to say that you don't love music, I just think you have a very warped perception of modern music (as many people from past generations do...it's sort of inevitable). I just think that if you love music so much you deserve to know that tons of people still make it well and have a passion for it, and that people still experiment with new sounds.

And if you want a more intelligent answer, I think you should try to keep the ignorant remarks (such as the few sentences that immediately follow your bolded question) to a minimum.

Whoa , Muzik ! This was a thoughtful and careful response to your post . Yes , there's a little bitterness in it , but no more than yours contained - and much better than I usually can do . People have to be able to express some exasperation with other posters at times as long as it is relatively and reasonably contained ; this was . I suggest you remove the warning and debate the case at hand instead -or ignore it , if that suits you better .

Edited by Guest

Oh hey what terrible timing, there's your response right there! That's true MT, and it kind of scares me to know that in 40 years I will likely not understand the modern music. But it is my hope that I will at least realize that there is something to understand, and that I just don't understand it myself (and I hope you realize that as well).

But I'm still curious as to what you mean by "true melodies."

And I agree that this is my favorite kind of music discussion. I mean, it's nice to have a discussion on "your favorite Beatles album" or "good cover songs" or something, but things really start to get interesting when people discuss the most important aspects of music itself. And the reason that these discussions get so heated isn't because I dislike you or something (hell, I've never even met you, how could I dislike you?), it's just that music is something that is connected so strongly to the soul that when one person attacks the music another person holds dear, things get pretty ugly. When we are talking in terms as vague as "modern music," this is no longer a discussion about bands and songs, it is a full on philosophical debate.

So yeah, my posts are not intended to be read as personal attacks (because again, I do not know you, so it would be very difficult for me to personally attack you), I'm just trying to express my frustration at the fact that some of the music I love so much is not only being insulted by someone, but being insulted for what I feel are illegitimate and misguided reasons.

I would say no , I don't think there will be . Consensus is one of the things that the information age has dispersed to a point that neighbors and friends no longer watch nor may even have heard of the TV shows ,music , etc. that you like . From the ~'30s -80s , we often had many of these things in common , at least in recognition . Only 3 TV stations and radio playing the same things , after all .

Also , countries that were raised on Western music no longer have to feel that that is all there is to offer . They can have their own entertainment and favorites . It is a very profound experience to speak with people who no longer have a common pop culture to embrace . One is introduced to all kinds of experiences now - for better or worse .

I sympathize , Muzik . I ,too , miss the days where what seemed was 'good ' and 'everyone' knew it are now gone . A new Beatles or Elvis phenom ? Unlikely .

Edited by Guest