Wooden Ships: David Crosby yacht for sale

Mike

Rock 'n' roll survivor David Crosby is helplessly hoping for someone to buy his cherished sailboat, the Mayan.

Crosby's representatives have taken out a quarter-page ad in the latest issue of Rolling Stone magazine announcing the sale, with a personal plea from the veteran of the Byrds and CSN&Y:

"After 40 years of sailing my Alden Schooner, and writing many of my best songs aboard her I have reached the point where I must let her go. ... As a real beauty that can be sailed anywhere in the world, she need someone to love her as I have."

Crosby is asking $1 million for this "spiritual platform." The ship was originally listed in September 2008, but a depressed yacht market may have impacted demand. Crosby is not alone in his difficulties selling a yacht. Last October, Carl Icahn put up for sale his 177-foot ship, the StarFire, for $37.5 million. Icahn claimed he was selling so he could upgrade to a larger vessel, but media reports at the time also noted Icahn Enterprises LP was reportedly down 76% in 2008. Also reportedly for sale for almost a year now, venture capitalist Tom Perkins' Maltese Falcon, which has an asking price of €115 million ($144 million), according to Luxist.

According to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, local yacht sales are down 25% to 50% this year, a troubling trend as one out of every two megayachts is constructed in southern Florida.

It is unclear if the current economic maelstrom made Crosby unable to carry on with owning the Mayan. Just one year ago, in an interview with CBS News' "Morning Show," the 67-year-old singer discussed his love affair with the sea and his ship:

"The captain of the 74-foot schooner Mayan has been at-home on the water for a long time.

'I started sailing when I was 11,' Crosby said, 'and so I've been sailing 54 years.' "

This wooden ship is one constant in a life that's seen its share of ups and downs.

Crosby actually wrote some songs on his boat. "I wrote many songs on this boat," he said. "Down in that main cabin there, I wrote 'Wooden Ships,' I wrote 'Page 43.' I wrote 'Carry Me.' "

Built in 1947, the yacht was extensively rebuilt in 2005 at a cost of over $600,000. Crosby has also been extensively rebuilt, surviving years of heroin abuse, prison time and a liver transplant. One hopes that, like Carl Icahn, Crosby is just moving on to bigger and better things. If nothing else, Crosby has at least provided a needed boost to the print advertising market with his posting in Rolling Stone.

Copyright © 2009 The Deal