The Church

Levis

The Church were great!!! :D

Okay where to begin...

pre-pre-show the DJ was playing a stream of Portishead songs.

the openers were a Sydney band going by the name of Astreetlightsong. They looked very young but were very good. They had a bit of the usual indie-pop/rock sound but a ton of bass and some wall-of-sound moments that made me verreh happy. You should listen to them, they are awesome: http://www.myspace.com/astreetlightsong

The pre-main-show music was sigur ros, the Verve (Rather Be), Silversun Pickups (Lazy Eye) and MBV (Soon)... I was the only one who got excited when they came on. Useless :(

Then on came the Church... and they played for three hours. Initially I was standing in the third row from the front, but more people squashed in for The Church and suddenly I was in the 6th row. Which is not that bad actually, I just couldn't see their shoes.

I loved Steve Kilbey's introduction to Under The Milky Way. He explained that he met the song at a bar in Iceland and offered it a drink. It refused saying that it was a song and couldn't really drink, you know. So he talked to it for a while and then introduced it to some fat, greasy, b*stards in Arista records (his words, not mine) and before he knew it, it had hit #1 all over the world and stayed there for 15 centuries (his statistics, not mine).

I don't understand how they do not tire... They played 3 hours including two 20 minute encores without a break. It's insane, how do they do it?! I lost count of how many songs they played, some old, some new, some very new. And the venue was great because it was small (but sold out) so it was very nice and intimate (and squashed).

My only gripe is that they didn't play Chromium but that's not very fair of me since it's not even a single. They leaned more towards noise. Also I came back with their Hindsight CD :)

PS: listen to this

I loved Steve Kilbey's introduction to Under The Milky Way. He explained that he met the song at a bar in Iceland and offered it a drink. It refused saying that it was a song and couldn't really drink, you know. So he talked to it for a while and then introduced it to some fat, greasy, b*stards in Arista records (his words, not mine) and before he knew it, it had hit #1 all over the world and stayed there for 15 centuries (his statistics, not mine).

:laughing: :laughing: awesome :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...