Who will be around in 20 years?

Jenny

I am starting this thread because I noticed that a lot of our younger members are just as heavy into Floyd, Zeppelin, and The Beatles as our older members. Whether you like these groups or not, the fact that kids are still excited about their music says something.

What artists of today do you think high school kids will be talking about in 20 years?

You can pick any genre, and you don't have to explain your choice if you don't want to.

Even though Prince has been around 20 years, so he's not exactly "new", this is one artist I would choose. He combines rock, r&b, funk, is self-taught on many instruments, and hey, Tom Jones has even covered one of his songs! ::

Who is your choice?

Kind of new age band that will still be talked about twenty years from now

:rockon:Nirvana :rockon:

And as long as Dave doesn't do somethin' stupid, I could actually see the Foo Fighters goin' on for a long time.

I just hope that bands like Hoobastank and 3 Doors Down (quickly) fade into obscurity..........

What are you babbling about??

Tool never broke up. They can come out with another album in 10 years and that's fine with me. It will most likely be good. Just look at Donald Fagen or Steely Dan. They released albums many years after their last hit. Still as good as ever too.

''the fact that kids are still excited about their music says something.''

actually , i dont know about that . im 22 and this is just a trend the teens are going through . its this ''anything thats old must be better'' phase .i dont remember in highschool kids even doing this . it seems to be my lil bro's gen that loves the 70's and 80's far too much for no good reason .

for me , for some reason whats remembered is what i was listening to when i was a child . things like elton john , fleetwood mac , sade etc. though i still keep up with finding new bands .

i have no idea what ill be listening to in 20 years . i think things are at this akward stage with music (excuse my spelling). theres no telling whats going to happen next . i cant even imagine what the generation under my lil bro's will remember and think of . :stars:

im 22 and this is just a trend the teens are going through . its this ''anything thats old must be better'' phase

I agree, it is probably just going to be a fad, but I think I will still ike it once the fad is over anyways. I think one of the reasons is because they haven't heard most of it, so when they tell someone they like a song thats old, the other person might not have heard of it, so he just says "cool". Then once that is established that the old music is cool, less people want to go against it. They can like new music, but they say old music is cool too.

I like old music because it is heard to find good music now. I know there are good bands out there, such as Dream Theater, and lesser known bands, but it seems like its kind of risky to go out and buy a CD, not knowing if I'll like it. With old music, I can get it at the library first, listen, see if I like it, then buy it.

It is also probably just going to be a fad, because today's popular music can't stay bad forever, right?

I don't know any modern bands at all, and my kids won't be talking about them I know that since I like the old stuff as does everyone I know. My band may be around if we get known, and once we decide on a name, since we're now thinking of just going by my name and not a band name. But back to the topic. The way most bands now make one album with one hit song that gets into a movie so everyone knows it then can't stand it after it's overrated, I don't think any bands will be talked about in the next two decades, unless they start making new albums with new hits that dont' all sound the same to thier old stuff or other artists songs.

:drummer:I think ERIC CLAPTON wil be going strong in 20 yrs

he plays what he wants to play and constantly gives credit to his inflences so i think he'll still be here to pass on that influence not just for Guitarists but for people who want to keep emotion in their music

''the fact that kids are still excited about their music says something.''

actually , i dont know about that . im 22 and this is just a trend the teens are going through .

That is something I definetly have to disagree with. To tell you the truth, I definetly like how life is going now. And, in all honesty, I am like one of three people in my school (grades 1-8) that listen to old stuff....OTHER than AC/DC.

Other than the music, I don't think I like anything else from "back in the day". I mean long hair is cool. I had it to my shoulder's but MAN it annoyed me!!!!!

Old cars are nice too, but I'd rather a 2005. :rockon:

Well generally a child makes a band do less touring, it won't usually affect the recording of songs though.

(example, The Beatles)

Also Thom Yorke's a workaholic so, I doubt it. And Radiohead albums have always taken a lot of time to come out anyway.