Study Shows Link Between Degrading Lyrics and Teen Sex

RonJonSurfer

'Degrading' Lyrics Linked to Teen Sex

HealthDay Reporter by Randy Dotinga

Feb. 24 (HealthDay News) -- There's still no firm proof that raunchy music makes kids have sex, but a new study provides another suggestion that there's at least some kind of link between "degrading" songs and teenage sexual activity.

The findings indicate that "people who are exposed to certain messages in music are more likely to copy or emulate what they hear," said Dr. Brian A. Primack, a pediatrician and lead author of the study released Tuesday.

In other words, teens who hear about degrading sexual practices in their favorite songs might decide to try them out themselves. However, it's also possible that the reverse is true: Kids who have sex just happen to like raunchy music.

Expanding on previous research that linked sexually charged songs to sex itself, the researchers surveyed 711 Pittsburgh-area ninth-grade students in 2006 and 2007 about their sexuality activity and the songs they liked to listen to.

The researchers then determined how many of the 279 most popular songs in 2005 were "degrading" because they referred to sex that's "based only on physical characteristics" and features a "power differential" instead of being mutually consensual.

For example, "Wait (The Whisper Song)" by the rap group known as Ying Yang Twins was deemed degrading, apparently because it included a reference to rough intercourse.

By contrast, the lyrics of the rap song "Baby I'm Back" by Baby Bash, including the lines "I wanna be stronger than we've ever been/I'm here to cater to you," was said to be not degrading.

The researchers looked for links between the listening habits of the students and their sexual activity. Their findings are scheduled to be published in the April issue of the American Journal of Preventive Medicine.

After adjusting the statistics in their findings to account for the possible influence of such factors as race and age, the researchers found that youths who listened most to "degrading" songs were more than twice as likely to have had intercourse.

But the findings don't prove that the music caused kids to have sex, acknowledged Primack, who's an assistant professor of medicine and pediatrics at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine.

"The opposite could be true -- that people who have more sex then go out and seek music with degrading sexual messages," he said.

Other researchers have linked music to sexual activity, but evidence of a direct cause-and-effect relationship remains elusive.

In the current study and an earlier one based on the same analysis of 279 songs from 2005, the researchers did not identify any degrading songs by title and disclosed lyrics from only a handful of them.

They said that 64 percent of rap songs analyzed were sexually degrading, compared with 7 percent of country songs and 3 percent of pop songs.

What to do? Laura Lindberg, senior research associate at the Guttmacher Institute in New York City, said that teens need to learn how to interpret and analyze the messages they see in the world around them.

But, "there's no silver bullet," she said. "If you get all teenagers to turn in their iPods, the teen pregnancy rate is not going to automatically decline."

More information:

The Sexuality Information and Education Council of the United States has an online booklet for teenagers on talking about sex.

Footloose (1984)

Reverend Shaw Moore: I object to that kind of music,

and I think you know why.

Ariel: Because people fornicate to it.

Reverend Shaw Moore: I never said that.

Ariel:You told the church board that.

Reverend Shaw Moore: That was not meant for your ears!

Ariel: When do my ears get old enough?

When do you stop protecting me?

I'm no saint!

I wanted to do my own scientific study based on my own teen years. I started 9th grade in 1972. I selected one of the top hits of 1972, "I Gotcha" by Joe Tex. Here are the lyrics:

Joe Tex

I Gotcha lyrics

Send "I Gotcha" Ringtone to your Cell

Oh, I gotcha!

Uh-huh, huh!

You thought I didn't see ya, now

Didn't ya? uh!

Uh-huh, huh

You tried to sneak by me, now

Didn't you?

Uh-huh, huh

Now, give me what you promised me

Give it here, come on!

(instrumental)

Hey!

Good God!

Hey!

Hey!

You promised me the day

That you quit your boyfriend

I'd be the next one

To ease on in

You promised me

It would be just us two

Yeah!

And I'd be the only man

Kissin' on you

Yeah!

Now, kiss me

Hold it a long time

Hold it!

Don't turn it-a loose, now

Hold it

A little bit longer, now

Hold it!

Come on!

Hold it, girl

Hold it, come on

Hold it!

Hold it!

A-ease up for me

Now, get back

Live!

You're high!

The girl's alright, ya'all

Ha-ha

Good Lord!

You made me a promise

And you're gonna stick to it

You shouldn't have promised

If you wasn't gonna do it

You saw me and ran

In another direction

I'll teach you to play

With my affection

Now, give it here

You never should-a promised to me

Give it, here

Don't hold back, now

Give it, here

Don't say nothin'

Just give it, here

Come on!

Give it, here, uh!

Give it, here, uh!

Give it, here

Give it, here!

Give it to me, now!

You're high!

Oh, I gotcha

Never should-a promised to me

Gotcha!

You never should-a promised to me

Gotcha!

Give it on, here

I gotcha!

You thought you got away from me

Didn't the door lock?

Gotcha, ha-ha-ha

Oh, I gotcha

Give it on up

I've gotcha!

Give it over, here

I gotcha

You tried to sneak from me

Now, didn't you?

Ha-ha

Oh, I gotcha

Ooh, I gotcha!

(instrumental fades to end)

I concur that there is a link between degrading lyrics and teen sex.

well... there's also a(real or imagined) link between songs about suicide and kids killing themselves, and songs about committing crimes and kids duplicating those actions in real life.

I always figured that if you're not pre-disposed to do those things, no music is going to sway you that heavily. If you've got mental or emotional problems already, however, I can see where music can ramp that up a bit. But, as the insurance companies are wont to tell you, "That's a pre-existing condition."

This must be a "generation thing": when I was a teen, there were no songs about degrading sex, therefore, nothing to which researchers could attribute high levels of teenage sexual activity. In our village a likely trigger for such goings on would be "fish & chip shop closing-time" or "fairground hits town".

Although I don't recall it ever leading to intercourse with a gurl*, I may have pulled a few hand-shandies listening to "Love To Love You, Baby"

*(and I'm sure I would, if it had happened)

Edited by Guest