Cover Songs in Differing Languages

skybluesky

Elvis' "It´s Now or Never" is a cover of "O Sole Mio". "Surrender" is "Torno a Surriento", both Italian old songs.

Frank Sinatra sung "My Way" -which is originally in French by Claude François- and "Let Me Try Again", originally "Laisse-moi le temps" .

"Amsterdam" (Bowie) is actually a Jacques Brel song.

"Seasons In The Sun" and "If You Go Away" by Terry Jacks are also covers of Jacques Brel "Le Moribond" and "Ne Me Quitte Pas"

Edited by Guest

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou's soundtrack has a lot of David Bowie songs covered in French.

Actually I'm pretty sure it's in Portugese because Seu Jorge is a Brazilian musician.

But yeah, The Life Aquatic Studio Sessions by Seu Jorge is an excellent album, highly reccomended for all Bowie fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOdUClEiNGE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LynWXw2utqI&feature=related

It's a "cover" of Jet Boy Jet Girl by Elton Morello. In fact, it uses the exact same backing track. There's a bit of controversy around that one...

LBB

Follow this Link for an explanation of the link between Plastic Bertrand's "Ca Plane Pour Moi" and Elton Motello's "Jet Boy Jet Girl". Roger Jouret (aka Plastic Bertrand) was the drummer for the band Elton Motello. There is also a convoluted link- musicians in common- which led to a version of "Jet Boy" by The Damned, under the pseudonym Captain Sensible & The Softies.

I wouldn't regard "Ca Plane Pour Moi" as a cover version as such, since its lyric has absolutely rien a voir with the lyric of "Jet Boy".

• 2 weeks later...

A version of "As Tears Go By" by the Rolling Stones was released in italian: "Con Le Mie Lacrime" was a hitsingle in Italy, in the 60's.

The Stones played it in Milan, Italy, on July 11th, 2006, after Italy had won the World Championship Football (yes football: played with feet only, unlike american football which is really rugby).

I'm also fond of "Helden", David Bowies german version of "Heroes".

Original song title was "Comme d'habitude" ("As Usual"). Excellently translated/rephrased by Paul Anka.

Actually, Paul Anka put the lyrics upside down and what was originally a sad, depressive song about a sore loser became what we all know... "My Way"...

- Umberto Tozzi's "Ti Amo" was covered by Laura Brannigan.

Laura Branigan's 2 biggest US hits were both foreign language covers:

"Gloria", also originally in Italian by Umberto Tozzi

"Solitaire", originally in French by Martine Clemenceau

Cher's "The Way of Love" was originally a French song called "J'ai le mal de toi", which was then covered as "Parlez-moi de lui" first by Dalida and by Francoise Hardy. (I realized this when the Francoise Hardy song was nominated for a PTT).

"The Three Bells" by the Browns was originally "Les Trois Cloches", recorded by several French artists, including Edith Piaf and Les Compagnons de la Chanson.