Cover Songs in Differing Languages

skybluesky

I have an ongoing project of collecting original and cover songs and I have decided to branch out to include songs originally done in one language, but covered in a language other than the original version. Martin tipped me to Walk Like an Egyptian, covered by Die Artze, so then I would compliment it with a song originally sung in German, covered by an English singing band. Please post suggestions here :D

so then I would compliment it with a song originally sung in German, covered by an English singing band.

at first I wanted to reply with "good luck finding such a song :smirk: "

but then I remembered that there really are some :)

Der Kommissar ~ After the Fire, eg :)

and wasn't "99 Red Balloons" covered in English too (apart from the english version by Nena)

- Not exactly cover songs, but ABBA sang their hits in English, Swedish, and Spanish (the Spanish versions are as popular as the English ones).

- The Beatles also did this with two of their songs in German.

- Kent recorded two entire albums in Swedish and English.

- Yazoo's "Only You" was covered in Spanish by the son of Julio Iglesias ("Solo En Ti").

- J. Frank Wilson's "Last Kiss" was covered in Spanish by Polo (a very famous cover to Spanish-speakers).

- Loveless's "Voyage Voyage" was covered in Spanish by Magneto ("Vuela Vuela"). Magneto also covered "Honey, Honey," originally done by The Archies

- There's the famous Ingmar Bergman movie of Mozart's The Magic Flute, which was done entirely in Swedish.

- 4 PM and A Taste Of Honey both sang "Sukiyaki," which was a cover of Sakamoto Kyu's original Pop hit.

- Five or six songs by Italian singer Pupo were covered in Spanish by Sabu, Diego Verdaguer, and Emmanuel ("Forse" and "Su Di Noi" come to mind).

- Umberto Tozzi's "Ti Amo" was covered by Laura Brannigan.

- The ending theme song to Candy Candy was redone in many languages, but the Spanish version is the closest in vocal sound to the original Japanese.

- Ricchi E Poveri did "Sera Porque Te Amo" in Italian and Spanish (Mexican Pop singer, Thalia, also covered this song).

- The Art Company sang "Susanna" in English and Flemmish!

- Spanish singer, Mikel Erentxun, covered a couple of songs by The Smiths/Morrissey ("Everyday Is Like Sunday" and "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out").

- Jose Augusto sang "Candilejas," a cover of the Charles Chaplin song.

- Roberto Carlos sang a lot of his hits in Spanish and Portuguese.

Loveless's "Voyage Voyage" was covered in Spanish by Magneto ("Vuela Vuela"). Magneto also covered "Honey, Honey," orinally done by The Archies

Honey Honey was ABBA, Sugar Sugar was the Archies ;)

Good responses so far. :D This should be fun.

I love Shannon when she has a project. Her enthusiasm knows no bounds.

((((my heterosexual life partner)))

I love a project like the lord loves a duck and I love you!

There´s a good cover of "Blackberry Way" -Move- by an Italian band in the late sixties, "Tutta mià la Citta" - Equipe 84. This one, also in Italian,Giuliano Palma & the Bluebeaters is very good. I think Martin might like it... :cool:

Sabu sung it in Spanish "Toda mía la ciudad". "Sensitive" - Mick Karn is the English cover of "La Distancia" - Brezilian singer Roberto Carlos (I´m youtubing blind... )