Songs with Sequels

Farin

Well, there's lots of songs that have inspired "replies/responses" from other artists.

The Wild Side Of Life ... It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels

King Of The Road ... Queen Of The House

the Newcastle Song ... Rak Off Normie

Southern Man ... Sweet Home Alabama

... and there are all kinds of theories about conversations-by-song between Lennon/McCartney/Dylan/Wilson...

LBBB

also All Along the Watchtower and Wolfmother's Joker and the thief

• 2 weeks later...

Lou Reed tells it all in "Berlin" (the album) : Caroline Says (arts I and II), The Bed, Sad Song, The Kids, etc... as wikipedia says, he album is a tragic rock opera about a doomed couple that addresses themes of drug use and depression.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

*bump*

I didn't know these three Björk songs belonged together:

Human Behaviour (1993)

Isobel (1995)

Bachelorette (1997)

There's an epic continuity between 'Human Behaviour', 'Isobel' and 'Bachelorette'. I'm not sure if it's a joke or serious - probably a bit of both. It's basically a character I invented called Isobel.

In 'Human Behaviour', she's a little girl. In 'Isobel', she moves to the big city and big lights. She functions with her intuition wich isn't very good in cities and crashes with a lot of ill-behaved people. So she goes back and trains a lot of moths and sends them back, as messengers of intuition, into the city to people who are not working with their intuition. In 'Bachelorette' she takes over and trees grow over the city. It's part autobiography part storytelling.

There's a side to me that's really casual and that's in them. There's a side to me that's very dramatic and very romantic and there's a side to me that's pretty hardcore. I guess the line of songs were meant to be like an epic, 19th Century novel but at the same time taking the piss. I can be a little too dramatic at times.

Link

• 2 weeks later...

[smaller]from Wikipedia[/smaller]:

(Marty) Robbins wrote two songs that are explicit sequels to El Paso ...

In 1966, Robbins recorded Feleena (From El Paso), telling the life story of Feleena, the "Mexican girl" from El Paso ...

In 1976 Robbins released another reworking, El Paso City, in which the narrator is on an airplane over El Paso and remembers a song he had heard "long ago", proceeding to summarize the original El Paso story. "I don't recall who sang the song", he sings, but he feels a supernatural connection to the story: "could it be that I could be the cowboy in this mystery", he asks, suggesting a past life.

• 6 months later...

Queen

In "Fat Bottomed Girls" Freddie sings "get on your bikes and ride" and in "Bicycle Race" they sing "fat bottomed girls, they'll be riding today".

Michael Jackson and The Jacksons. This one hasn't been recognised anywhere but if you listen to the songs back-to-back you can pick up that MJ is singing about the same girl in each one.

"She's Out Of My Life" from Off The Wall

and then "Time Waits For No One" from The Jacksons album Triumph.

If it were a story the first song would be when the break-up has happened, and the second song would be maybe a month later with Michael still lamenting over it.

Also from MJ, "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" contains the lyrics "Billie Jean is always talkin', when nobody else is talkin'", linking it to the classic that appears later on Thriller.