Songs with Sequels

Farin

...or whole series of songs

this thread is about songs that simply belong to each other, for one reason or another. :)

for example the famous "Mamason" trilogy by Pearl Jam:

Alive is about a boy who finds out his father is actually his step-father, and that his real father is dead.

Once is part two, where the boy goes nuts and starts killing people.

and Footsteps, where the boy is sentenced to death and blames his mother.

another example can be found on Gorillaz' album "Demon Days"

Fire coming out of the Monkey's Head which is immediatly followed by

Don't get lost in Heaven and

Demon Days

I'm sure you know other examples too :)

Californication

By The Way

Dani California

Throughout the song, lyricist Anthony Kiedis laments the early death of Dani, a poor, young Southern girl who eventually lived in California, became a mother and lived a hard, fast, unsettled life.[4] Kiedis has commented that the character of "Dani" is an embodiment of all the women with whom he has had relationships. The song narrates much of Dani's life, starting with her birth in Mississippi and apparently culminating with her death in the badlands of North Dakota.[5]

Dani first appeared in the 1999 song "Californication", which includes the lyrics "Teenage bride with a baby inside/Gettin' high on information" although the girl's name is not specified. She was next mentioned in the Red Hot Chili Peppers' 2002 single "By the Way" as "Dani the girl". It is also possible that the character is alluded to in the 1999 single "Scar Tissue" from the "Californication" album through the lyrics "Blood loss in a bathroom stall/Southern girl with a scarlet drawl" and "Push me up against the wall/Young Kentucky girl in a push-up bra." On the subject of "Dani California", Kiedis is quoted as saying: "When this funky groove came up it struck me as a perfect place to actually tell a story. It sort of revealed itself to me that it's been the same character, just kind of developing. At first I didn't realize that I was writing about the same girl."

Interesting subject!

Another Brick in the Wall part 1

Happiest Days of Our Lives

Another Brick in the Wall part 2

Much of the Wall album has a theme flowing throughout each song.

Unforgiven - Metallica (1991)

Unforgiven II - Metallica (1997)

Unforgiven III - Metallica (2008)

Also the entire Operation: Mindcrime album by Queensryche is one sequel after another, as it is a concept album. More information

The wonderful and criminally neglected Australian STephen Cummings has songs on two of his early albums about the singer, his friend, and a waitress named Jane. The songs are "You Jane", and "Melancholy Hour".

I put those albums up there in the same class and categry as Prefab Sprout's early classics. Highly recommended for any Australian out there...

LBBB

Operation: Mindcrime album by Queensryche is one sequel after another

The epic album 2112 by Rush is a similar effort as lyrics and musical riffs are repeated pleasantly throughout.

Another one, (there're many) is Harry Chapin's "Taxi" and appropriately titled "Sequel."

Very interesting thread and good show!

:D

Eels' Novocaine for the soul spurred a so called 'answer' called

The Medication is wearing off

They (eels) also have a song called "Souljacker" parts 1 & 2.

Here's an interesting fact:

The cover of the Souljacker album featured Eels mainman Mark Everett hooded and with a thick beard making him look like a terrorist. Consequently after the events of 9/11 the album's American release was delayed until March 2002. The worst irony of the album's cover and title however was that one of Everett's cousins, Jennifer, was a stewardess on board America Airlines Flight 77, the plane that flew into the Pentagon killing everyone on board. (thanks, Martin - Rostock, Germany)

Lynyrd Skynyrd's - Sweet Home Alabama ('74) was an answer song to 2 Neil Young songs... Southern Man ('70) and Alabama ('72) -

Well I heard mister Young sing about her

Well, I heard ole Neil put her down

Well, I hope Neil Young will remember

A Southern man don't need him around anyhow

:cool:

Broken Family Band: "Walking Back To Jesus Parts I, II, and III"

O.A.R.: "That Was A Crazy Game Of Poker"... "that song then led to a couple of other songs on that record, 'About An Hour Ago,' 'Black Rock,' about this guy going around and picking up strangers and different characters." ~ Marc Roberge

This IS a cool subject. I'm going to try and think up some more...

Eels

I love Eels, truly.

I've seen them three times!

Here's one of my favourites by them . . . coincidentally at one of the concerts I was at back in '97!

If you look real hard into approximately one minute:thirty-five seconds of this video you'll see me! I'm the one with a huge smile, cheap sunglasses and hands clapping above my head.

They rock, well!

Rags to Rags ~ Eels

Well, there's lots of songs that have inspired "replies/responses" from other artists.

The Wild Side Of Life ... It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels

King Of The Road ... Queen Of The House

the Newcastle Song ... Rak Off Normie

Southern Man ... Sweet Home Alabama

... and there are all kinds of theories about conversations-by-song between Lennon/McCartney/Dylan/Wilson...

LBBB

Edited by Guest

There are also songs which have parts 2, 3, and on, but are more like outtakes, instrumentals, and remixes of the original. For example, ABC's "The Look Of Love (Part 1)." The subsequent "parts" are instrumentals with chorus vocals that were included as b-sides and album tracks. Depeche Mode had "My Secret Garden" and "Further Excerpts From...," which was also an instrumental remix of the song :headphones: