Is there anything truly RIGHT about this?

Shawna

By SHAYA TAYEFE MOHAJER, AP

posted: 5 HOURS 47 MINUTES AGO

comments: 10607

filed under: National NewsPrintShareText SizeAAA

NEW YORK (Feb. 13) - Police said Thursday they will investigate death threats against octuplet mother Nadya Suleman and advise her publicist on how to handle a torrent of other nasty messages that have flooded his office.

Word that the 33-year-old single, unemployed mother is receiving public assistance to care for the 14 children she conceived through in vitro fertilization has stoked furor among many people.

Police said Thursday they were investigating alleged death threats against Nadya Suleman, the mother of newborn octuplets. The single and unemployed mother of 14 has sparked widespread controversy over choosing to have the children and whether she needs taxpayer help. A Web site, above, is collecting donations for the family.

Police Lt. John Romero said officers were meeting with Suleman's publicist Mike Furtney about the flood of angry phone calls and e-mail messages against Suleman, her children and Furtney.

"We are aware of the media accounts of the threats, and that they are being sent to the West Los Angeles detectives for appropriate action," Romero said.

Furtney said 500 new e-mails were received early Thursday.

"We're talking to the Los Angeles Police Department to get their best advice as to how to regard these messages," he said as the phone in his office rang constantly.

He is also consulting with a security professional to get advice on any precautions that might need to be taken.

Suleman is living in an undisclosed location and spends time with all her kids every day, Furtney said. The octuplets are expected to remain in the hospital for several more weeks.

Not all the calls have been angry. One family from the Midwest has invited Suleman and her brood to live on their farm, Furtney said.

"One thing that keeps me from jumping out the window is that we've heard from many people offering some kind of support: clothing, food, financial or other help," he said.

Suleman has been supporting her six other children with $490 a month in food stamps and receives Social Security disability payments for three of the youngsters that could total $2,379 a month.

She has estimated her in vitro fertilization procedures have cost $100,000.

Suleman has said she saved for the treatments by working double shifts and also used money from a disability award exceeding $165,000 that she received after an on-the-job back injury.

The benefits were discontinued last year.

The Suleman octuplets' medical costs have not been disclosed, but in 2006, the average cost for a premature baby's hospital stay in California was $164,273, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Eight times that equals $1.3 million.

For a single mother, the cost of raising 14 children through age 17 ranges from $1.3 million to $2.7 million, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Your comments, please. :crazy:

Well... raising 14 children is a punishment in itself, I don't see why people feel the need to make things even more difficult for her. Sending her death threats is an awful thing to do.

On the other hand, I think it's pretty irresponsible as well. Sorry. :P She doesn't seem to have the means to properly support six children, let alone fourteen - it's a disgrace. I blame the doctor too... she seems to have some issues, but a doctor should be smart enough to put a stop to something like this.

Edited by Guest

I don't like the death threats but personally I think her and that doctor should be jailed and those children put with people that can properly care for them. In my opinion what those two did is child abuse.

What kind of life can those poor children expect to have?

Welfare mom

No father

How much one on one time can each child expect to receive

The ridicule they can expect to receive from their peers

Getting lost in the shuffle of that many kids running a mock

Not even to mention the safety issues of each child.

I could go on but I won't.

What total and complete stupidity on both the women's and the doctors parts :mad: :mad: :mad: :susel:

Oh yeah almost forgot,we get to foot the bill :o :stars:

Those poor kids. All of them.

She has to have done it for some kind of monetary gain. Why else would someone do something so incredibly irresponsible and stupid?

She can say anything she wants about not wanting public assistance I flat out don't believe her. She says that now because the public is pitching a fit about having to support those babies under the circumstances of their births.

A well off couple would struggle to raise 14 childern properly for Gods sake.

I feel badly for Grandma. She knows her daughter is nuts, she's caring for the 6 children already at home, and now faces another 8.

I also believe this doctor should bear some of the financial responsibility for these babies. In the end he's the one irresponsible enough that they even exsist.

I can understand someone adopting that many children if they can afford to and I'm sure it's been done. But what those two did is appalling.

Wheres the father? I don't think I've heard much about him at all. He should be helping that doctor pay child support. After all it took three to bring this nasty piece of work together :mad:

Is that how it was done? Like I said I hadn't really heard but if that is the case you are right of course :D

Just one more strike for those babies. I kinda wonder where the money came from for all the procedures she would have had to go through from the very beginning. Was she allowing herself to be used as a guinea pig or something?

I don't really get to keep to informed about details in most cases.

Normally a sperm donor isn't considered a father ... however in this case the donor is the mom's boyfriend, whom she refuses to marry.

I think the doc should bear some of the financial responsibility. In the end he's the one that did this. She's nuts, she can't be held completely responsible, but he's a doctor, who has taken an oath that begins "First, do no harm". He's done harm. :P

That lady needs mental help. Seriously, who would spend all of that money for that procedure twice?! Also, what kind of a doctor would allow that?! This is very messed up, but I'd never threaten her or her family.

And now for something completely different: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2233878.ece

• 1 year later...