Theres no such thing as the best in Art

CarsAndKites

You guys dont even know what your talking about, MUSIC is ART its not about whos the Best its whos the most creative, not whos the fastest or technical. Its who touches us the most.

Just like drawing or painting, music is relative to the person that is hearing it. NO one is the best, even a beginner guitar player can be a genius to another.

EDIt: And I dont believe being taught guitar is the best way to learn its the best way to mimic someone but not to learn. Being taught guitar is the fast way to learn, but self taught guitarist are overall better players. Taught guitarist will never have there own thinking patterns, self taught ones develope there own and are more creative.

Great. Just what we need, another hate thread. Just Kidding. I totally agree. Now I wouldn't go around saying that taught musicians are bad, come on. Freddie Mercury? They may not be as innovative as to style, although mixing classical elements was pretty awesome and clever. But still, I am just completely drawing a blank on what to say next, so I am going to go to bed. Good night.

Nice thoughts, CarsAndKites.

This reminds me of a thread on another board of "Discourse In Art". What counts as art, what doesn't, where do we draw the line between art/disgust, art/torture, art/garfunkel.. whatever.

To take a point which doesn't need embellishing, what can be taught is only what others know and can pass from one person to the other. What can't be taught are exaggerations on stories, or anything which requires another person to listen and mimic what's being said. There's also my school of thought which by now means that I sincerely believe that half of what scientists think is absolute bull, even to them. Maybe not of the advanced theses which they cling to so egotistically now, but theories which could chagrin others into hatred towards them.

Coming back to the start again, that being, the best place of all to start starting. Being the best. Having come from the musical background which I do, I can safely make the following true statements:

True statement number one.

I, a grade seven pianist, am probably no better at playing the piano than a grade three pianist given the same amount of time at the same pieces within the same range of difficulty. Give me a grade three piece and I'll prove it. I simply b]can't sight-read. Sure, I'll get the basic idea of how a piece sounds, which notes go where and when, but time doesn't allow for me to hone the piece itself. Give me the same seven days on Rondo Alla Turka, and I'm screwed. We all know how that one goes, but whether we can reproduce it ourselves in sound form is all down to how good we are at adapting to a certain sound, a certain layout of fingers, of continuous sounds, of digital gymnastics.

True statement number two:

To me, my favourite music, is the best music. To me, the best music is the music to which I've been conditioned to, the best art is the art I've been conditioned to. Ask the same to a group of kpangolo players, they'll say the same thing. (While this is no slight on the kpangolo itself, which is a fine instrument, it's more a slight on my lack of current impetus on this otherwise valid musical subject).

True statement number three:

By learning from someone else, you also learn their beliefs, adopt their principles and attitudes, and ask about what they believe to be, a) the best way to do something, B) the most efficient way to do something, c) the easiest way to do something, and conversely, d) the most challenging and/or satisfying way of achieving something more difficult.

I have my own personal opinions on my favourite music, most of which most people won't agree with. But damn, I know I'm right.

Love and mercy

Matt

There is no such thing as the best in art, as with the best things in life, pleasure is subjective. There can be rubbish though and derivative pap, which whilst digestable on the superficial level, cannot be called 'art' as those senses stimulated by the original have already been touched.

Cover versions can only be valid as 'art' if they differ in a stimulating way from the original, IMO.

Regards

Good thread but I have to disagree with the fact that self-taught guitarists are better. What about Steve Vai? Given he was taught by Joe Satriani, but still, he is better than most. Now that I have started listening to him he would have to be in my top 10 best guitarists.

And the fact that what you like is the best, I would have to argue again. IMO, Jimi Hendrix was the most talented guitarist EVER. BUT, I prefer Eric Clapton, not because of talent, but because I prefer his style. Hendrix blows me away by what he can do though.

Art, is expressing yourself. Everything that a human uses to express oneself is Art. I dont believe taught guitarist scan relate to that on a level that self taught guitarists do.

Taught guitarist are preached of dissonance right?

Personally I don't believe dissonance exists and that just makes much less of a barrier for me to express my self.

Even the most effient way to do something isn't the most creative way. If your taught the most effient way youll miss all the little things that your brain could have picked up on by taking the time to find out yourself.

Hey cars, I totally agree with you, especially about taught musicians. I actually went to college to study guitar and I was pretty disgusted at how everybody was competing with each other and the way they 'teach' you. I did learn some theory that I find very helpful, but I think 'learning' music through lessons and classes direct you in such a way that it actually limits most people to the 'rights' and 'wrongs' of music. Many will disagree with me, but I think a more abstract kind of music is more deep than technical music. It does, however, come handy to know how to construct a chord and understand how different notes flow or clash with each other. And by the way, sometimes I like some 'technical' music.

Oh, and don't take it so seriously, when we say 'the best' we actua;;y mean 'my fav'.

Welcome to the boards.

That cosmosis dude got it right. Well, at least when I say "the best", it's synonymous to "my favourite" :headphones: Of course there's no way to judge a subjective work objectively. It's like saying, "This person's life experience and emotions are better than this other guy's."