Survival in the Arctic

MindCrime

There is snow on the ground, and the countryside is wooded with with several creeks criss-crossing the area.

Read, people! :D Plenty of wood for fires & there's drinking water. I know that you never take off walking in the snow when you haven't a clue where you are, or when you are far from civilazation. Plus, I've read that book about the South American soccer players. You stay put, and when you eventually run out of food, you start eating your fellow survivors. :P

• 2 weeks later...

52764_02.jpg

You and your companions have just survived the crash of a small plane. Both the pilot and co-pilot were killed in the crash. It is mid-January , and you are in Northern Canada. The daily temperature is 25 below zero, and the night time temperature is 40 below zero. There is snow on the ground, and the countryside is wooded with with several creeks criss-crossing the area. The nearest town is 20 miles away. You are all dressed in city clothes appropriate for a business meeting. Your group of survivors managed to salvage the following items:

• A ball of steel wool
  • A small ax
  • A loaded .45-caliber pistol
  • Can of Crisco shortening
  • Newspapers (one per person)
  • Cigarette lighter (without fluid)
  • Extra shirt and pants for each survivor
  • 20 x 20 ft. piece of heavy-duty canvas
  • A sectional air map made of plastic
  • One quart of 100-proof whiskey
  • A compass
  • Family-size chocolate bars (one per person)

Choose 5 of the listed items of importance for your survival, feel free to mention their uses.

Not sure how I missed this thread but I'll pick five of the choices given:

1. Small axe (to gather fuel, food and protection)

2. A loaded .45 (the gunpowder from one bullet would start many fires via spark from the axe)

3. Extra shirt and pants (these may be the most important things to inhibit dying from exposure)

4. 20x20 heavy duty canvas ( shelter that's camouflaged used as a trap for food, not to mention smoke signaling, a gurney, make-shift sled or warmth) Too many possibilities to list for the 20x20

5. Family size chocolate bars (hey, they'll be like gold bars once starvation starts settting in)

I'll add, if I may, the many uses for a magnifying glass. Not only will it produce an almost instant flame but it'll also produce water.

It has infinitely more candle power than a Crisco shortening can lid. (I still would like to know what kind of person carries Crisco shortening with them on a plane flight) :D

Undoubtedly, the 100 proof whiskey would be the worst choice as alcohol, believe it or not, lowers blood temperature. Not a good idea when trying to stay warm because you'll only be making yourself freeze faster. It's just you'll be too drunk to care!

:laughing:

Two key ingredients for survival in the wilderness; warmth and water.

They both start with "wa."

*Wa Wa!

*. . .said "Charlie Brown's" teacher and parents.

;):P

• 1 year later...

Oh wow - I use something very similar to this which I use for the group session when interviewing candidates (well, I have 3 different survival scenarios - plane crash in the desert, lost at sea and this one).

The red herrings are usually the alcohol, salt tablets and sectional air maps (when used for medicinal use and navigation in this case).

It's usually very interesting to see candidates behaviour and answers and how they present their ideas (they have to come to a common list of the 15 items they have left with them, but are not allowed to vote on them - they have to discuss them and come to an agreement).