Introducing The Beatles 2/11/63

RonJonSurfer

Forty-six years ago today, the boys entered the recording studio to begin laying down the tracks for, what would become, Introducing The Beatles. Nine hours and forty minutes later these songs were recorded and ready to go:

THERE'S A PLACE

basic recording- 11 Feb 1963

additional recording- 11 Feb 1963

master tape- twintrack 2d generation

I SAW HER STANDING THERE

A TASTE OF HONEY

DO YOU WANT TO KNOW A SECRET

MISERY

additional recording- 20 Feb 1963

ANNA

additional recording- none

master tape- twintrack

BOYS

master tape- twintrack

CHAINS

master tape- twintrack

BABY, IT'S YOU

additional recording- 20 Feb 1963

TWIST AND SHOUT

master tape- twintrack

I believe Twist and Shout ended the session and it was done in one take. That was a good days work.

In my opinion, this may have been the single most prolific/productive session in rock and roll history.

Studio 2. 10.00am-1.00pm. Recording: `There's A Place' (takes 1-10); `Seventeen' (working title of `I Saw Her Standing There') (takes 1-9). Studio 2. 2.30-6.00pm. Recording: `A Taste Of Honey' (takes 1-5); `Do You Want To Know A Secret' (takes 1-8); `A Taste Of Honey' (takes 6-7); `There's A Place' (takes 11-13); `Seventeen' (working title of `I Saw Her Standing There') (takes 10-12); `Misery' (takes 1-11). Studio 2. 7.30-10.45pm. Recording: `Hold Me Tight' (takes 1-13); `Anna (Go To Him)' (takes 1-3); `Boys' (take 1); `Chains' (takes 1-4); `Baby It's You' (takes 1-3); `Twist And Shout' (takes 1-2). Producer: George Martin; Engineer: Norman Smith; 2nd Engineer: Richard Langham. Recording of `Please Please Me' LP. Photographer Dezo Hoffmann present.

Over the course of the day the group basically performed their stage show as the tapes rolled, recording future Beatles classics like "I Saw Her Standing There," "Do You Want To Know A Secret," and "Twist And Shout." The group's recording engineer Richard Langham recalled the session in Mark Lewisohn's The Beatles' Recording Sessions book. He remembered that when producer George Martin and the other engineers announced that they were taking a lunch break, the Beatles chose to stay and rehearse, revealing that, "When we came back they'd been playing right through. We couldn't believe it. We had never seen a group work through their lunch break before."

The sessions only produced one outtake -- an early attempt at Lennon-McCartney's "Hold Me Tight" which was re-recorded for their second album With The Beatles later that year. George Martin originally wanted to name the album Off The Beatle Track, but it was decided that it would help sales by naming the album after their current hit single. (Martin went on to use the name for his 1964 instrumental album of Beatles hits.)

Please Please Me was released on March 22nd, 1963, and entered the British charts at Number Nine. After seven weeks it hit the Number One spot, where it stayed for 29 weeks. The American version of the album called Introducing The Beatles was originally released in the U.S. on July 22nd 1963 -- and went nowhere. It was re-issued on January 27th 1964 and peaked at Number Two for nine weeks behind the group's breakthrough album Meet The Beatles.

One year later, on February 11th, 1964:

The Beatles performed their first American concert, in Washington, D.C. at the Washington Coliseum, in front of 8,092 screaming fans.

The group's set list that night was: "Roll Over Beethoven," "From Me To You," "I Saw Her Standing There," "This Boy," "All My Loving," "I Wanna Be Your Man," "Please Please Me," "Till There Was You," "She Loves You," "I Want To Hold Your Hand," "Twist And Shout," and "Long Tall Sally."

The group performed in the round, and after every three songs the group and their roadies would switch their equipment to face another side of the audience.

*Check out this link