Op-Ed

TheLizard

I got an opinion piece published in the Notre Dame school paper (The Observer) that I'm particularly proud of. First, it helps to read the article that I was responding to: http://media.www.ndsmcobserver.com/media/storage/paper660/news/2009/02/09/Viewpoint/A.Defense.Of.The.Pope-3618535.shtml

Here is my response:

http://media.www.ndsmcobserver.com/media/storage/paper660/news/2009/02/10/Viewpoint/A.Defense.Of.Criticism-3621237.shtml

"If people are allowed to question their faith, and decide it is the correct path for them, their faith will become stronger in the end just by the act of questioning. If they decide on a different path, well, at least they were able to find their sense of self."

Well done, my man. :bow: You are a true non-conformist, and I couldn't be more proud. :)

Nice job with your response.

I recall my freshman year at Rutgers (yes, I do recall things that long ago), we were asked to write an opinion piece for Comp 101. The professor made a point of saying we would be graded 100% on composition.

So, I hand in a piece that criticized the Catholic Church for being too old fashioned to attract the younger generation. It was my opinion.

She hands back the assignment and she gave me a "D". There were all kinds of comments about the church. What about Vatican II? Etc.

I couldn't wait to see her after class. She starts right at me and said "I showed this to my sister who is a nun..." I stopped her right there. I told her that it was wrong to show it to anybody, especially her sister who would be extremely biased. I also told her that my opinion could never be wrong. You can disagree with it, but it can't be wrong. I chastised her and told her she had to grade this on the composition of the piece and not the content. (I learned the next year about content in my journalism class). I finally let her know that I had no problem letting the Dean make a decision about this topic.

She took the assignment back with her, and the next class handed it back to me with a B+ on it.

This was a public university!. I realize it was 1976 and things we different...but they really weren't. You have to stick up for your rights.

"Our only requirements are that you must be over 18, Catholic and male."

no kiddin'... I have to wonder if the person who wrote that article was serious. Can it be that there are actually people still drawing breath on this planet that are this antiquated in their thought processes?

• 1 month later...

One thing I learned while in college, if I never learned anything else; it was to live and let live.

We each are individuals and should try to hold onto our own persona and inner beliefs regardless of what family, friends, science, people, local law enforcement, government, media or the church says.

Neither of the eight should be the object to scorn or jeers even though none truly matter. What matters is YOU! No one but you are with yourself 24/7, seven days a week, 365 days a year until you exhale that last time.

I've had many stones thrown at me, not at Songfacts but in everyday life. It's okay, though.

I've saved them all and almost have enough to build a castle! Alls I need to do now is buy the mortar.

Interesting work nevertheless, Lizard.

Well said, Tim! Stick to your convictions.

When any organization formed in order to aid a constituency - be it a church, a government, a school, a business - places itself beyond the earnest queries or concerns of the least of that constituency, they fail their purpose and eventually are responsible for their own demise.

• 2 weeks later...

"But you're probably wondering, what authority does this guy have to say these things? Isn't he, after all, "barely out of high school" as well? Certainly. But I am a Knight of Columbus."

Nice letter dawg. I agree with Muzik that it's good to live and let live. People should be able to think and say whatever they want...and if they think someone else is wrong about something they should feel free to let it be known! haha. It would be a pretty lame existence if we just ignored those we disagree with, right?

I didn't find anything offensive..."I'm a Catholic" And also "a Knight of Columbus" (4th degree too) "Everybody's entitled to their own opinion" The purgatory thing? :confused: Look, "I once tossed $5 in a juke box and played... Yoko Ono's "Don't Worry" in a crowded diner...(this is a long time ago and "I'm sorry")I might go to purgatory first (or even hell) for my misdeed (and I have no intentions of going to either)So Tim...relax...Nobody's "God" here... or he might not have registered...Either way... :rockon: :thumbsup: