Grammy Thoughts

Carl

Some random thoughts from the Grammy Awards last night:

1) Chris Brown got into an altercation with Rihanna the night before, and both of their performances were canceled. What is a producer's nightmare is also a dream - a show that inevitable goes long suddenly loses 10 minutes. And to fill in: Al Green with the always entertaining Justin Timberlake. As much as I love Rihanna, I've seen her "Disturbia" bit and loved hearing Justin and Al do a gloriously underrehearsed version of "Let's Stay Together."

2) The Grammys listened. Maybe they had a guy with a dart gun waiting just offstage, but the speeches were mercifully short. This left more time for performances, which is why we watch, and those were outstanding. Not only did they give us the acts we wanted, but they had them play the songs we like: Paul McCartney doing I Saw Her Standing There, Neil Diamond doing Sweet Caroline. Think about that - Instead of making us listen to some critically acclaimed act that was nominated for best Alt-something Performance, they gave us the pure pleasure of Neil Diamond. I'm sure there was lot's of resistance, but this is an era of change.

3) When The Jonas Brothers and Stevie Wonder performed, it was more about Stevie, which is how it should be. I like those Jonas boys, and I like that they're letting their fans know that Stevie is cool.

4) I'm not a big Radiohead guy, but that performance of 15 Step with the USC marching band was really sweet.

5) I think Katy Perry might be done.

6) The Grammys might be still feel guilty about not giving Led Zeppelin any awards. Why else to you give Robert Plant Best Album and Record of the Year?

6) The Grammys might be still feel guilty about not giving Led Zeppelin any awards. Why else to you give Robert Plant Best Album and Record of the Year?

Robert Plant wins five Grammy awards, some five years after his voice is nearly completely shot. The dude has refused to tour with Zeppelin because he thinks he wouldn't be able to hit those high notes.

Now, tell me.....IS THIS NOT THE IRONY OF THE CENTURY?

As for Katy Perry...yeah, she'll be a one-hit wonder, but that song and that a$$ will live on forever. :googly: :D

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :doh: :doh: :thumbsdown: :D

The Grammy's should feel guilty about Zeppelin, but back in their heyday the Grammys rarely recognized any hard rock acts. On the other hand, have you listened to Raising Sand? It's not just Plant, it's a 50/50 effort with Krauss, and it's good. Not the Plant of old, but a great album nonetheless.

Raising Sand is a great album. It's got that New Orleans Voodoo vibe to it. Plant and Krause are really good together. On the Grammy broadcast itself, their were no unforgettable performances.I liked the Bo Diddley guitar tribute. One big complaint for me was the sound quality of the broadcast. It sounded like they were playing in a cave.

Jennifer Hudson showed a vulnerable yet strong front in the face of all the poor girl has been through. Great acceptance speech and beautiful performance.

I am so proud of my beloved Sugarland for their wins and performance. Once again proving that I must be too &*^% stupid to understand the Grammys, I am flummoxed that they won for Stay, a song that was included on their 2006 CD Enjoy the Ride, when they released a CD in 2008. Isn't it 2009? What the french is going on?

Fr. 'The StoneShow' Mon. Feb. 10, 2009:

Amazed myself by paying (a little) attention to the Grammys... so...

(from what little I saw or heard)....

Sugarland won (a couple of times) and Jennifer was gushing beautiful! (and then knocked it out of the park later with her almost flawless performance of "Stay"). Kenny C’s turn on stage was maybe marred, a little, by a tuff song to put across live, I mean he could’ve just done "She Thinks My Tractor’s Sexy" to wild ovations like Sir Paul did with "I Saw Her Standing There" …but that said, it was brilliant in it’s own way. A great song! And did I hear ‘Lil Wayne use the "N" word in his "song" ??? Is that because he has some special license with "free speech" that allows him to use normally prohibited by decorum derogatory words because he claims to be a member of that derided group? So does that mean I could go on nationwide broadcast TV and say (If I was).." I’m a white boy, honky, who beats my skanky white b*tch, cracker lovin’, hillbilly dude."? And not expect to be called out on it? (I'm not BTW any (many) of those things, but I'm just saying, IF I was)

Also, btw, later again, during the Justin Timberlake / Ti thing, when Ti was rapping the audio completely cut out for several seconds, was he concerned we wouldn’t get it (whatever it was he was singing... err.. I mean rapping about) if he wasn’t graphic enough? Really? Come on…and I don’t even think it was that bad of a song (in fact it was kind of good) but be a little more creative in finding the words to say (and stop beating us over the head and shoulders with how much ‘authenticity’ and street cred you have by displaying your competence with profanity. And before I lose complete consciencness, (how long is this show anyway?) Radiohead is unstoppably cool. And, (sorry, I know they ARE great but…) N. Diamond & 4-Tops were snoozers but John Mayer, BB King, Buddy Guy and Keith Urban were rockin' out in tribute to Bo Diddley. Oh no, hide the tender ears once more, here comes "Lil Wayne again…hey, OK, I know it's rough, I too have reletives down there so I know already, yeah, New Orleans…..And Plant/Krauss get the AOTY!! Wonder how many people chose that one in their Grammy Pools..... and I’ll read about the rest of it in the morning…

...and that's what you get when you ask a grump!...

WUUF-FM Sodus/Rochester, NY

myspace 'stoneshow'

^^ :D ^^ I like that Lee.

I don't get the Grammy time frame either. Raising Sand, while definitely an exceptionally amazing album, was released in 2007.

And, the single Gone Gone Gone (Done Moved On) won a Grammy in 2008. Is that unusual? I would think so. The album was released late in the year, I guess that accounts for the lapover.

I just stumbled upon this and it made me chuckle heartily. Foul, foul language alert.

7 Reasons the Grammys Suck

Ahh, one of the comments reminds me that when I used to go through my big brother's music collection, he had these cassette covers that he typed up on some old typewriter with a very flowery font, and I used to wonder what kind of music this Leo Zeppelin played...

LBB