Musical Infuences

_jr_

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most recent inspiration in my mind is the simularity of Jet to AC/DC, at least in the song, Cold Hearted Bitch.

Thats what I was going to say! The whole intro is AC/DC-ish.

You can definitely hear Led Zeppelin influencing Guns n Roses on part of the solo for "Over The Hills and Far Away."

I think Jim Morrison influenced Bono a little bit.

I believe that copy-catting someone is synoymous with being influenced. Maybe we are seeing the word influenced in a different perspective. It does have dual meanings.

Inspiration is on a more respected ground although imitation has been widely deemed as the most sincerest form of flattery.

I'll agree that 'influence ' is more about respect and admiration. Even a feeling of reverence toward the artist.

However, from that point, you take those tools and develop your own style.

Imitation, however, I feel, has nothing to do with being influenced by someone. Anyone can learn something done by another artist. It doesn't mean they're going to derive their own style from it.

I love to paint, and I truly admire Henry Matisse. Some people have said they can see his use of color in some of my paintings. That's influence.

If I sat down and copied a painting of his out of one of my books, that's imitation.

To me, influence is an intangible thing that runs much deeper and moves a person on the inside, maybe even subconsciously.

Imitation, or copycatting, to me , holds none of those values.

To me, influence is an intangible thing that runs much deeper and moves a person on the inside, maybe even subconsciously.

Agreed. This is what I meant when I said that influence has a dual meaning. There are good influences and bad influences, good and bad being in the midst of the infinite dual.

Muzik, is there anything else this artist has done that I could see? Also, I believe there is a big difference between being influenced and immitating someone. To be influenced, it requires a heart, it requires for you to be touched in a certain way. Immitating requires nothing. Just laziness.

I feel that you saying you've never been subconsciously influenced in a bad way not only remarkable but a first. If only what you have done in life is good then I need to make you known to my theological comrades.

One thing I like to remember, for every action there is a reaction, whether concious or subconcious. Matter is never destroyed, only transferred.

Oh, as said before, I won't reveal the origin of my avatar but will give subtle hints.

I feel that you saying you've never been subconsciously influenced in a bad way not only remarkable but a first. If only what you have done in life is good then I need to make you known to my theological comrades.

I never said that...

Also, whenever you want to give another one of those subtle hints, I'll be ready.

I never said that...

Good.

Influences, IMO, come more from what we don't realize than what we do. Like the attentive guard which never moves from his spot, so the subconsciousness of the mind must be distracted to enter the largest place and avoid any influence, good or bad, while unlocking the door to true imagination and creativity in it's highest original form.

[influences, IMO, come more from what we don't realize than what we do. Like the attentive guard which never moves from his spot, so the subconciousness of the mind must be distracted to enter the largest place and avoid any influence, good or bad, while unlocking the door to true imagination and creativity in it's highest original form.

True imagination and creativity have nothing whatsoever to do with copy-catting. I have to respectfully disagree with the statement "Copy catting is synonymous with influence.

Oh, and as far as Muzic and Dave and the whole avatar thing, it doesn't bother me. Dave is persistent, though. If I asked someone where their avatar came from, and they were reluctant to say, I'd just drop it.

That, I think, is his point. Influence is like a subconcious thing. You may be influenced by something and not even realise it. But it takes a concious effort to copy something (assuming it's not a coincidence).

Giddyup. Well said young man.

I don't notice many simularites between Flock of Seagulls' Photograph to Def Leppard's Photograph, nor the Verve Pipe's. Well, maybe just a little in the Verve Pipe.

You shouldn't. A Flock Of Seagulls is "Wishing (If I Had A Photograph Of You)". Maybe if you had chosen to compare it to Depeche Mode instead with their songs: "Photograph Of You" or even "Photographic."

I guess most can see the blatant inspiration of Huey Lewis and the News' I Wanna New Drug to Ray Parker Jr's. Ghostbusters.

It was such a blatant "influence" that Ray got his copyright-infringing-ass sued by Huey Lewis for ripping him off, and won the case :headphones:

True imagination and creativity have nothing whatsoever to do with copy-catting.

My previous entries have been my best at trying to prove the above point.

I have to respectfully disagree with the statement "Copy catting is synonymous with influence.

I humbly accept your disagreement here. It has always been my thought that anything copy-catted was influenced from an original source. How can anything copy anything without first being influenced by it to do so?

Hit the nail on the head

That has some merit, although I don't think 'anything copied' is exactly accurate. Some things copied are stepping stones to originality.

Like when a person picks up a guitar for the first because they like what they saw someone else doing it, and wanted to give it a try.

There's the inspiration.

What's the first thing they do? Learn someone else's stuff.

There's your copy-catting. But for a higher purpose.

Noone picks up a guitar and says "I want to learn all of Angus Young's songs, note for note." they say, "I want to play like Angus Young." So they learn his stuff, but at the same time, they're discovering other things along the way, and they evolve into what may have some Angus young in it, but isn't just a copy of Angus.

There's your influence.

So there are three ingredients. No all musicians move in this manner. Some, like me, start out with the same intentions as the great ones, but hit the wall. There is definitely a natural feel and inborn talent that simply has to be involved. Some are more gifted that others, Or everyone could play everything.

Personally, I got to the copycat stage and couldn't go any further. Same with the drums, and keyboard. I'm destined to be a copy catter for the rest of my life.

Rats! ~ Charlie Brown