U-Haul truck driver leads CHP on high-speed chase

Mike

SOMIS, Calif. (AP) — A woman in a U-Haul truck led authorities on a high-speed chase for more than two hours — going through downtown Los Angeles and star-studded Malibu — before she was finally arrested.

As viewers watched the dramatic chase on television, the driver eluded police Wednesday by driving on sidewalks, across grassy medians and into oncoming traffic lanes.

The woman, Alisha Mankin, was to be booked on charges of possession of a stolen vehicle, recklessly evading peace officers, driving while under the influence of a controlled substance and misdemeanor hit and run, the California Highway Patrol said. She also faced drug and DWI charges on two outstanding warrants.

The chase, which began in the high desert city of Palmdale, at various times involved a state highway, Los Angeles city streets, a couple of interstates and the Pacific Coast Highway, CHP Officer Jose Nunez said.

It started when the 25-year-old Mankin and a male companion were pulled over by a Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy following a report of suspicious activity, Deputy Robbie Royster said.

The man, who had rented the U-Haul, was detained. But Mankin jumped back into the truck and sped away, Royster said.

The chase finally ended on a rural road in Ventura County when the truck began to weave and then stopped. Mankin sprinted from the truck, yanked vainly on the door of another car, and then was tackled and arrested.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press

I watched this live last night on the internet via a streaming feed, it was great, my son came into the room and asked what I was doing, he watched it for a minute and then pulled up a chair next to me... "this is cool".

-It's a guy thing!