Your Favourite Band Sucks! - Overrated Bands

Farin

Those who can -- do. Those who can't -- criticize.

Those who are boring , repeat this same cliche .

I also agree with the critics , for the most part . They are speaking of being overrated -not sucking or the like . They do compliment some works usually , and point out that most artists or bands had a peak album/brief period where , afterwards ( or before ) , nearly everything else stunk . I think that a single album by many of these artists with their best stuff would suffice instead of torturing us with their careers . Thank God for greatest hits compilations .

:D:D

The only thing overrated about ANY music is someone else saying it is and in that same sense does it not make that person's opinion underrated?

We all have our favourite songs to listen to. Never let someone tell you what you do or do not like. Let them overrate or underrate. As long as YOU like it, who cares?

It's subjective.

*I* care, because I find people's opinions fascinating. If some bunch of music journos wants to put together an article on popular acts that they reckon aren't actually *that* good, then I'm always ready to read it. If they are articulate and persuasive, then all the better. (I haven;t made up my mind about this particular bunch)

It's all good fun!

LBB

Edited by Guest

I kind of agree with Lee, and with Muzik. I like what I like and I don't really care much what other people think about my musical taste, but it's fun to read opinions. They were a little harsh to some of the artists. They should have stuck to just criticizing the music, but I don't think these artists are home crying their eyes out, are they?

*I* care, because I find people's opinions fascinating. If some bunch of music journos wants to put together an article on popular acts that they reckon aren't actually *that* good, then I'm always ready to read it. If they are articulate and persuasive, then all the better. (I haven;t made up my mind about this particular bunch)

It's all good fun!

LBB

I kind of agree with Lee, and with Muzik. I like what I like and I don't really care much what other people think about my musical taste, but it's fun to read opinions. They were a little harsh to some of the artists. They should have stuck to just criticizing the music, but I don't think these artists are home crying their eyes out, are they?

I agree with both Lee and Jenny!

Both of you are what makes Songfacts so special!

Please keep up the attitude the both of you have, here and elsewhere.

I'm quite confident that the sword you both carry will never be dulled.

I'll say it again.

Those who can -- do. Those who can't -- criticize.

Saying it again doesn't make it any less silly ;-) There's good criticism and there's bad criticism. It's not always easy to tell what's what, but dismissing the whole field of critique as though it's just the ravings of bitter failures is ... errrm... I don't really have the word for what that is.... glib, perhaps.

LBB

Edited by Guest

I am not saying all crticism is invalid. My point is, anyone can be a critic, it is the easiest thing in the world to do. My wife is critical of my musical tastes all the time. It doesn't mean she is right, it's just her opinion.

So you are saying that it's easier to be a critic than it is to be an artist.

But if that's true, it could mean that the guy who wrote that Beatles countdown isn't as talented as the Beatles! I'm going to have to ponder this one... ;-)

LBB

I am not saying all crticism is invalid. My point is, anyone can be a critic, it is the easiest thing in the world to do. My wife is critical of my musical tastes all the time. It doesn't mean she is right, it's just her opinion.

No, it is not easy to criticise things right. Anyone can be a critic, but to be a good critic requires some knowledge of what is being discussed. I'd say a wine connoisseur has a more valid criticism of any of kind of wine because of his refined taste for the stuff. Whereas I may judge it by plain, pedestrian knowledge. However, we're both not experts at making wine :beatnik: