Playing The Beatles Backwards: The Ultimate Countdown

Farin

Yes, this is probably the best detailed review/critique of the Beatles' music that I have ever read. Even when I don't agree with his subjective rankings, the actual analysis is pretty much spot-on. Ths should seriously be expanded and then published as a book.

LBBB

I never really listened to Abbey Road as a kid - I just didn'tget it then. The first time I realised that it's not that bad after all I must've been seventeen or eighteen. And strangely enough I remember not liking Oh! Darling and I Want You then - I thought I Want You was pretty awful until RonJon posted something about it. Then I suddenly saw it from a different angle.

Here Comes The Sun isn't one of my favourites I'm afraid...

If I recall, I may have told the story of how I remember sitting in the back of my friends 1968 Chevy Camaro....my head was laid back between the two huge Jessen speakers and that pounding, repeating riff at the end of the song seemed to hypnotize me as we sped down the Garden State Parkway to the Jersey Shore..

I always loved the raw feel of that song...John's voice, the guitar work and the amazing bass work. Ringo does a nice job too.

If I recall, I may have told the story of how I remember sitting in the back of my friends 1968 Chevy Camaro....my head was laid back between the two huge Jessen speakers and that pounding, repeating riff at the end of the song seemed to hypnotize me as we sped down the Garden State Parkway to the Jersey Shore..

I always loved the raw feel of that song...John's voice, the guitar work and the amazing bass work. Ringo does a nice job too.

I'm glad you remind us of this... :cool: it makes me feel younger :grin:

I also told everybody about that day when, on my way to the hospital to meet my new born brother and my mom, in 1969, I went into the record shop where they finally had received the just-released last Beatles' album... so I had a new baby brother and a new LP. One of the happiest days of my life... :)

What a wonderful thing to remember, Edna! Have I told you when one day in -67 my clock-radio woke me up to A Day In The Life? The first time I heard the song and I thought I was in heaven!

Funnily, I don't feel like I'm in heaven when I hear A Day In The Life, or I Am The Walrus, for that matter. Those may be the top two in this guy's countdown, but although I love them dearly, I find both of them to be dark and disturbing songs. Of John's great psychedelic masterpieces, Strawberry Fields is always the one that I find personally uplifting.

But on a more stupid note, my first inkling of the Beatles was hearing Ob La Di, which I somehow thought was sung by a large Italian family, something like the wedding reception scene in The Godfather...

LBB

What a wonderful thing to remember, Edna! Have I told you when one day in -67 my clock-radio woke me up to A Day In The Life? The first time I heard the song and I thought I was in heaven!

Wow, waking up to "A Day In The Life" must be like being in heaven, indeed... :) mainly in 1967 and listening for it for the first time... :cool:

I heard The Beatles in 1963, in Barcelona, when I was 7 years old... "She loves you..." We lived at some friends'place, they had a teenage daughter who was listening to that song over and over. I became a fan too.

My dad had to remind me that we had all the Beatles' singles and EPs at home, in Buenos Aires. Somehow I didn´t pay much attention to them till I heard that song and could meet a Beatlemaniac for the first time... :grin: