The Wall is coming to Broadway

Jenny

NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) - Pink Floyd's "The Wall" is coming to the Great White Way.

Miramax Films has pacted with former Sony Music chief Tommy Mottola to develop and produce a Broadway musical based on the seminal rock opera.

Roger Waters (news), who co-founded Pink Floyd in 1965 and conceived the semi-autobiographical 1979 concept double album, will write the Broadway show's book and arrange and orchestrate music for the stage production.

The album, which includes such Pink Floyd hits as "Another Brick in the Wall," "Comfortably Numb" and "Hey You," follows the journey of disillusioned rock star Pink, who looks back at the experiences that forged his neuroses. Like Pink, Waters lost his father in World War II.

Waters, who acrimoniously left Pink Floyd in the 1980s, sold the stage rights to the project to Miramax and Mottola, who runs his own Universal Music-based label, Casablanca Records.

Pink Floyd's "Wall" album, which is certified 23 times platinum and sits in third place on the list of best-selling albums ever, was adapted into a 1982 film released by MGM and starring Bob Geldof (news). Alan Parker ("The Commitments") directed the "Wall" feature from a script by Waters.

Pink Floyd's theatrical live performances of "The Wall" became the stuff of rock legend, and an $8 million production was staged in Berlin in 1990, coinciding with the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Said Waters of the planned Broadway show, "Now I can write in some laughs, notable by their absence in the movie."

AWESOME!!! Man, I have always thought this could be a broadway show! Man, this is great, I am going to have to go see it now. Any word as to who will be playing Pink? That would be awesome if Roger Waters was going to do it, although I think he is probably too old for that. Man, this is great news though.

My husband and I went to see "Tommy" when it came out on Broadway. The music was cool, but the show itself was a bit boring.

I've never seen the movie "The Wall", and I'm not really a Pink Floyd fan (gasp, I know, I should be kicked out of America), but I may go check it out.