The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #150

Lucky

1. Sonnet - The Verve (1997)

2. Morning Glory - Oasis (1995)

3. Waterfall - The Stone Roses (1989)

4. Eve - The Heavy Sandwich (2008)

5. (I'm Gonna Be) 500 Miles - Maxïmo Park (2007)

6. Big Mouth Strikes Again - the Smiths (1986)

7. Patience – Guns N’ Roses (1989)

8. Dashboard - Modest Mouse (2007)

9. Showgirl - The Auteurs (1993)

10. Come On Eileen - Dexys Midnight Runners (1982)

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sf_songfactorschoicetop10.jpg

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #150 for the week ending 25th January 2009

1. Strawberry Fields Forever – The Beatles (1967)

2. A Change Is Gonna Come - Sam Cooke (1964)

3. Life During Wartime - Talking Heads (1979)

4. Danny's Song - Loggins & Messina (1972)

5. Strawberry Letter 23 - Brothers Johnson (1977)

6. Chicago (We Can Change The World) - Graham Nash (1970)

7. You Were On My Mind - We Five (1965)

8. Eve - The Heavy Sandwich (2008)

9. Never Tear Us Apart - INXS (1988)

10. Waterfall - The Stone Roses (1989)

Hey Folks. I'm back (not that you missed me) Due to hard drive crashing sort of computer agrivation, I've missed out on another TT (and a pretty good one from the looks of it)

What? No one ever thought of nominating 'Strawberry Fields' b4 :P Didn't see that Sam Cooke coming this week either (oww my head is still sore from all the beating) JK really ;) Great list! Love the We Five tune, one of the all-time great one-hit wonders out there.

Anyway, great job as usual! I know you could easily carry on without me, but if you don't mind....I'm Back!!!!

btw...if anyone's on facebook, i've started keeping a running log of my show (kind of like radio for the hearing impaired) look for STONE HILL there. Be my friend and hit the wall :cool:

Hey J, glad you're back. Computer illness seems to be going around. Must be a virus or somethin'. ;)

I'm terribly pleased with about half this ten, and I'm certainly not displeased with the other half, so, all things considered I'm good with the Ten this week. :)

Heartfelt congratulations to The Heavy Sandwich for making the Ten.

I, and probably several others , demonstrated our support and solidarity by voting for the Sandwich, without ncessarily expecting them to sneak in there. #8, eh?!...Well Done! Imagine how much better they might have done, if we had actually listened to the song. :)

Hi all you statistics geeks!

I'm just looking for a way to fruitfully compare results across different weekly TTs, and hopefully to calculate a top ten, top 100, for all the songs that have ever made a TT.

First we need a away to calculate how well a song did in its particular week. The total number of votes is not enough, because this is affected by the number of people who vote, and by the number of nominations. So a simple way to take these effects into account is to calculate the score in terms of Standard Deviations above the Mean.

For TT 150, the mean vote was 27.5, and the stdev was 20.45, so we could assign Strawberry Fields a "standardised" score of 5.01, because 130 votes is 5.01 stdevs above the mean.

By comparison, in TT5, the mean was 28.54, and the stdev was 20.56. Remarkably similar, I must say. So In My Life would get a standardised score of 4.3.

So we have SFF on 5.01 and IML on 4.3, with all the effects of total numbers of participants filtered out.

That's all easy, but now the tricky subjective part. Obviously the competition in TT5 is exected to be of a higher standard than in TT150, so I'd like to come up with a "discount factor" that reduces the effective standard score each week.

My first thought is to discount the score by 1% (compound) every week. That would mean that the songs in TT5 would have their scores reduced to 96.1%, and the scores in TT150 would be reduced to just 22.4%, which is a pretty hefty reduction, but perhaps properly reflects the relative merits of being the 41st song voted into the list instead of 1491st.

So I'm going to try that as my starting point, and give In My Life a LeeBB-standardised score of 4.13. Strawberry Fields gets a LeeBB-standardised score of only 1.12.

btw, I don't have all the scores for the very first vote, as only those songs that received more than 30 were listed, but this would give My Sharona, the first number one, an LSS of 1.69.

This suggests to me, as we all likely agree, that this very late entry for Strawberry Fields is a bit of an anomaly. I for one had no idea (or reason to suspect) that this song was not already in the list, so never considered nominating it.

Anyways, that's the end of my geek rave. I'm just messing with numbers, on this our national day. It beats working.

thanks,

LBB

:stars: Huh? You lost me some where between the mean vote and the discount score ... but I like a bargain. ;)

Chris, our resident mathematician would probably understand, but I gotta say, I don't. A couple things .... don't we already do this, in our own way, with the Ultimate Top Tens? It may not be totally scientific, but how scientific is liking music? I just mean isn't the people factor rather important? Personal taste is objective. I'm not saying yours isn't a good idea, but personally, I just don't get it. Maybe with some input from cs1987, Farin & The Seeker I might.

As far as Strawberry Fields not previously making the Ten .... did you know that Rocky Racoon has never even been nominated? I find that to be quite an anomoly itself. :P

Ahh, I'm just messing about, seeing what might be extacted from the data that we already have, ie the nominations and votes in 150 TTs. The Ultimate Top Tens are great, but they require extra voting and time. I'm an impatient guy, so I want to see if I can get some extra analysis from teh data we already have. And it's just the kind of game that like to play.

As for Rocky Raccoon... well, I wouldn't say it's one of the Beatles' very finest moments, but still a great song. If anyone else had recorded it, it would probably be enough to give them lasting fame. If only we could figure out a way to get it nominated! ;-)

Thanks!

LBB

Edited by Guest