Songfacts turning ten, 1999-2009

Mike

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Ten years ago Songfacts roared to life with a handful of song titles and details regarding unique aspects and their origin, release date, chart position and lyrics.

The year was 1999, when many worried about Y2K and the computers transition, the music scene was changing fast. Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera released their debut albums. BMI Announces Top 100 Songs of the Century 'You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' is at number one. Napster came online in that summer and offered users the ability to freely share songs in MP3 format over a centralized peer-to-peer network. That same summer, a man from a sleepy little town in the Northeast United States brought to life this wonderful musical website by the name of Songfacts. The official opening day was August 9th, 1999. And the world has never been the same since then.

Let's celebrate this milestone all year long!!

Edited by Guest

Happy Ten Years!!!!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

And many ten more... :)

Thank you, Carl!! :thumbsup: Thanks to everyone of the old regulars who made me feel at home as soon as I read the first answer I got... Thanks to all of us who welcomed the new ones and thanks to the new ones who now are regulars too... thanks to everybody for making this site as it is... and also for keeping it clean and polite :hippie: as it is...

I´m a Songfactor and proud to be... :cool:

Wow, that's really nice of you guys. When we started this little site, we thought it would be a savior for DJs (especially me), and of interest to a few hard-core music fans. Luckily, one of the guys in the early days convinced us to design it around a database and make it scaleable, just in case it took off.

The seismic Songfacts event was when we got a Yahoo! pick on May 17, 2002:

http://picks.yahoo.com/picks/i/20020517.html

Of course, it crushed our meager server and no one could get to the site for a week, but it got a lot better after that.

I've really enjoyed getting in depth on the music, knowing why Roger Clyne paid full price for his Name On a Grain of Rice or what a head full of Zombie feels like. And, of course, finding wonderful people who come together over music and life has been a rare pleasure. :)

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I heard a plug for Songfacts on NPR...That's National Public Radio...on Thursday night, just before 7:00pm. The female DJ (you know who you are) was likening the Osmonds' tune from 1970, "One Bad Apple", to the sound of the Jackson 5. She then mentioned that, according to "a website called Songfacts", the song was actually written by a fellow from Muscle Shoals, Alabama, WITH THE JACKSON 5 IN MIND. It was later released by the Osmonds and became a Number One hit.

These facts are indeed listed in the Songfacts for that song.

Congratulations, Carl, on ten years of virtual knowledge and ten years of utter coolness.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: