Tep 10 Ultimate Rock Gods of All Time

Mercury the Ultimate Rock God

The flamboyant frontman, who died of pneumonia induced by HIV in 1991, managed to steal the crown from the King of Rock 'n' Roll himself, Elvis Presley.

Queen star Freddie Mercury has been named the Ultimate Rock God in a new poll.

The flamboyant frontman, who died of pneumonia induced by HIV in 1991, managed to steal the crown from the King of Rock 'n' Roll himself, Elvis Presley, who came second in the survey of 4,000 music fans by OnePoll.com.

Rocker Jon Bon Jovi came third, while Starman hitmaker David Bowie and legendary guitarist Jimi Hendrix rounded out the top five.

The top ten ultimate rockers are:

1. Freddie Mercury

2. Elvis Presley

3. Jon Bon Jovi

4. David Bowie

5. Jimi Hendrix

6. Ozzy Osbourne

7. Kurt Cobain

8. Slash

9. Bono

10. Mick Jagger

Copyright World Entertainment News Network 2009

Jon Bon Jovi third??? Puhlease!!!! He shouldn't even be on this list. And Mick Jagger is only 10th? And where are Eric Clapton, Lennon or McCartney and perhaps even Rod the Mod. Any one of them would be a better pick than Bon Jovi or Bono. And if being drug or booze addled is a qualification for being on this list (see Ozzy Osbourne) or known for outrageous behaviour on stage (Osbourne again), then why aren't Joe Cocker, Alice Cooper or Ted Nugent on the list.

I know that it's Friday and I've had a hard week, so I'm going to assume that my eyes aren't functioning properly, because there is no way on God/Yaweh/Allah/Hasselhoff's earth that a list of ultimate rock gods includes Jon Bon freaking Jovi but no Robert Plant.

I mean, come on. There is no denying that, folks.

Whomever is responsible for this list can snack on my hindquarters.

So I'm thinking about the kind of "gods" that look good on a poster on my teenage wall... David Lee Roth, Paul Stanley, Rod Stewart, Michael Hutchence... as well as all the obvious ones mentioned before. These are what I think of as "gods"... it's not the same as being a rock "superstar"... it's a charisma thing, about visual and emotional impact. The kind of thing that Hendrix had but Eric never will. (I'm sure that Mick had it, but watching that Scorcese film makes me wonder.) Rock gods are iconic images that you would wear on a t-shirt... maybe that's my litmus test... "the t-shirt test". SO that means that Bob Marley belongs, but Bono?... sorry no ;-)

LBB

Edited by Guest