Politics and music .... do mix?

Mike

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone else do the fact finding for me... I'm lazy

Clinton awards Halliburton no-bid contract in Yugoslavia - good...

Bush awards Halliburton no-bid contract in Iraq - bad...

Clinton spends 77 billion on war in Serbia - good..

Bush spends 87 billion in Iraq - bad..

Clinton imposes regime change in Serbia - good...

Bush imposes regime change in Iraq - bad...

Clinton bombs Christian Serbs on behalf of Muslim Albanian terrorists- good...

Bush liberates 25 million from a genocidal dictator - bad...

Clinton bombs Chinese embassy - good...

Bush bombs terrorist camps - bad...

Clinton commits felonies while in office - good...

Bush lands on aircraft carrier in jumpsuit - bad...

No mass graves found in Serbia - good...

No WMD found Iraq - bad...

Stock market crashes in 2000 under Clinton - good...

Economy on upswing under Bush - bad...

Clinton refuses to take custody of Bin Laden - good...

World Trade Centers fall under Bush - bad...

Clinton says Saddam has nukes -- good...

Bush says Saddam has nukes - bad...

Clinton calls for regime change in Iraq - good...

Terrorist training in Afghanistan under Clinton - good...

Bush destroys training camps in Afghanistan - bad...

Milosevic not yet convicted - good...

Saddam turned over for trial - bad...

Ahh, it's so confusing!

I don't know if politics and music mix, but I do know that if I hear P. Diddy/Puff Daddy/whatever his name is this week tell everyone that it doesn't matter who you vote for as long as you vote, I will send my minions to kill him. Yes, hell, it does matter who you vote for. You research the issues, wade through the bullsh*t, and decide who you think is going to do the best job for you and your country. So it's ok if you go to the voting booth and write in Willy Wonka as president? You're voting for somebody, right?

Idiot. :doh:

You are right, TP, I agree with you! We the human mankind (well, me, at least...) trust you, all american people, and count on you to vote for the right one. It´s no joke, I live in Europe and people don´t know how important is for all the world to have a good prez in America. Maybe it´s coz I´m french, mainly coz my mother´s family are jews... I love America, I can´t forget you liberated us from the nazis. And America still rules the waves, so please folks, vote and vote you know who.

well obviously as an irish person i don't have a say in this election. however i do have the right to an opinion, especially as the election of a US president does greatly impact the rest of the world. no-one can deny that we in europe have felt the effect of bush's decisions, especially since we were pretty much told we were 'for the US or against the US'. as a neutral country ireland was in a particularly difficult position as despite maintaining our neutral status we allowed US soldiers to land and refuel in Ireland (this also happened in WWII). the issue of the war on iraq was and continues to be hugely divisive in europe. countries which supported the war have been more at risk from terror attacks as a result (e.g. spain). bush had the intelligence and capabilities to avoid 9/11 in the first place and since it occurred (tragically of course) he has embarked on a scare-mongering campaign. He is encouraging paranoia among US citizens in a blatant attempt to increase his popularity - there are none as popular as wartime presidents, whether the war is justified or not. no-one is denying the US their right to defend themselves but they were in no direct danger from iraq. also the way in which bush flexed his american biceps was in complete disregard of international institutions which the US has been instrumental in putting in place, and yet if another country did the same they would no doubt be the first to protest. i don't pretend to know much about bush's internal policies but his external relations leave alot to be desired.

as a politics student i think it's very important to inform yourself and exercise your right to vote. regardless of the system, each vote does count. voter apathy is dangerous and has led to the rise of dictatorships and fascist regimes in the past. also if it's a choice between someone who has done nothing positive for your country for four years or someone you're just not sure about i'd go for the latter!

okay that was long and boring! ah well, i've typed it now...continue!

Someone else do the fact finding for me... I'm lazy

Clinton awards Halliburton no-bid contract in Yugoslavia - good...

Bush awards Halliburton no-bid contract in Iraq - bad...

Clinton spends 77 billion on war in Serbia - good..

Bush spends 87 billion in Iraq - bad..

Clinton imposes regime change in Serbia - good...

Clinton bombs Christian Serbs on behalf of Muslim Albanian terrorists- good...

Bush liberates 25 million from a genocidal dictator - bad...

Clinton bombs Chinese embassy - good...

Bush bombs terrorist camps - bad...

Clinton commits felonies while in office - good...

Bush lands on aircraft carrier in jumpsuit - bad...

No mass graves found in Serbia - good...

No WMD found Iraq - bad...

Stock market crashes in 2000 under Clinton - good...

Economy on upswing under Bush - bad...

Clinton refuses to take custody of Bin Laden - good...

World Trade Centers fall under Bush - bad...

Clinton says Saddam has nukes -- good...

Bush says Saddam has nukes - bad...

Clinton calls for regime change in Iraq - good...

Terrorist training in Afghanistan under Clinton - good...

Bush destroys training camps in Afghanistan - bad...

Milosevic not yet convicted - good...

Saddam turned over for trial - bad...

Ahh, it's so confusing!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Also, congrats on not being a biased [bleep], like most of the irish people I talk to.

well there's no point in being bigoted about it! (isn't that biase too?) i'm not biased, i do make an effort to inform myself and i have nothing against america as a nation. i just don't happen to agree with anything bush has done pre or post-9/11. how can you just assume i'm being biased just because my views don't correspond with yours? (and btw alot of irish people are actually pro-bush)

• 2 weeks later...

Does it really matter? I'mean if you like an artist (musician or actor) does it matter how they vote or who they promote? Personally I separate it.

One has really nothing to do with the other.

But I fear there are some who do follow a pied-piper.